The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Ikon rangefinder camera

emmawest72

Hi,

I'm looking at maybe adding a friend to my old m4-2 and I came across this zeiss ikon which looks really nice and also comes at a reasonable price for my wallet...
I could of course also get another m4-2 but I'm quite attracted by the inhouse metering.

However, I don't know much about it and would really be grateful if anybody had some real experience with this cam.

Big thanks!!

William

back alley

what sort of info are you looking for?

i have shot with a zi for a few years and loved it.
comfortable in my hands, viewfinder that is like a bay window. and great lenses too.
it has a wide ebl so easy to focus longer lenses. the shutter is actually quiet but many complain about it's 'loudness', in reality, the shutter sound is metallic (shutter is metal) while a leica has a cloth shutter and sounds quieter. i measured an m3 against the zi with a spl meter and the db level was the same for both cameras.
i still have mine but rarely use it as i have a couple of rd1's that i prefer.

joe

Stuart Richardson

It feels a bit tinnier than a Leica, but it has a superb viewfinder, and having AE is very nice. It needs a battery to operate (the M7 does too, but it will do 1/60th and 1/125th without batteries). Lots of people like the way the shutter speeds are displayed in the VF, but I like the M7's solution better. Anyway, I think if you want an M mount camera with AE and don't feel like paying for an M7, I think the Ikon is a superb choice. Of course, reasonable people prefer the Ikon to the M7 too...it is just personal preference.

emmawest72

Thanks a lot to all of you.

The information you all provided iro shuttersound and viewfinder was exactly what I was looking for. I know it needs batteries but in view of the size of the batteries I can easily have a few lying around in my pocket.

Joe: cool blue!!

Well, I think I'm going to start to hunt for a 2nd hand ZI body:)

Cheers

Stuart Richardson

Nice blue Joe! That's actually just like my M7.

Well...black and white does not help...

William -- I think you will really like the Ikon. It is a really great solution and the viewfinder is great, particularly if you like shooting 28mm lenses.

emmawest72

Stuart,

I only have a 35mm and a 50mm lens and I think it will remain like that. I already have trouble choosing between those 2:)