Site Sponsors

Thread: The Leicaflex SL2 restore is complete

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leicaflex SL2 restore is complete

In the spring I got a Leicaflex SL2, I had DAG do a full CLA and convert it to use silver cells. It came back like new but for one niggling detail, no plugs for the sync ports. The original plugs were joined in one unit. None of my usual Leica bits places had any. I wrote Leica USA. They didn't have the joined unit as they tended to break with use but sent me the correct replacement plugs at no charge. The SL2 is now fully restored and one of my most used film cameras. Now some day to get the final two lenses I want for it.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Leicaflex SL2 restore is complete

One of the all time great cameras.

What lenses do you have? What ones are you looking for?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the 50mm 'Cron. 180/3.4 APO and a MR 500mm I'm only wanting to add the 19mm Elmarit version 1 and the 90mm 'Cron. I'm wanting to keep it simple (read cheap) but if gifted with a 280 APO I would light candles on Barnack's birthday in memory of the giver for the rest of my life.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That 50/2 is hard to beat ... it was the comparison lens used to bench test everything else. The 180/3.4 is also something else when focused long ... it was optimized for infinity focusing originally for military purposes. The 500 was made by Minolta to Leica's specifications.

Did you know that the SL-2 is considered by many to be the toughest SLR ever made? It was so over-engineered and so over-built that Leica lost money on every one they sold.

Happy shooting. Great camera!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    That 50/2 is hard to beat ... it was the comparison lens used to bench test everything else. The 180/3.4 is also something else when focused long ... it was optimized for infinity focusing originally for military purposes. The 500 was made by Minolta to Leica's specifications.

Did you know that the SL-2 is considered by many to be the toughest SLR ever made? It was so over-engineered and so over-built that Leica lost money on every one they sold.

Happy shooting. Great camera!
    I can well believe that. It feels like it was machined out of a single block of metal. The only SLR I've had that comes near it's workmanship is Contarex Bullseye which spoiled me for other SLR's for years.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nicely done on the restoration! Great to keep these old classics running, so to speak.

Just what I need....another temptation. KEH has a couple of SL-2s, one in EX condition. Camera West has a couple too.......oh man.....this is not good. :-)

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Nicely done on the restoration! Great to keep these old classics running, so to speak.

Just what I need....another temptation. KEH has a couple of SL-2s, one in EX condition. Camera West has a couple too.......oh man.....this is not good. :-)

Gary
    If you have never had one Gary ... it is a must! They don't lose value ... so get one and feel what the best ever made feels like ... LOL!

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    If you have never had one Gary ... it is a must! They don't lose value ... so get one and feel what the best ever made feels like ... LOL!

-Marc
    It feels like they are almost dirt cheap these days....not much more than the price of a digital P&S. Might have to add one to my small collection of 35mm film cameras....which makes no sense at all. But hey, it's a Leica, so it's not supposed to be a rational decision, right?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary
    Don Goldberg of DAG deserves the credit for an extensive CLA. I just wrote the check.

Mike Johnston

pupduda

I have an SL2, that I love. Who is DAG, and do they still do a "silver battery conversion."
    What are silver batteries?
    Many thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

DAG = Don Goldberg, http://dagcamera.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Camera West, SL2 Black, 9+, $995.....or KEH, SL2 Black, EX, $569. What do you think John?

How much might a CLA and silver battery conversion run?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see this old thread. Wind it forward to 2013, and I have GAS for an SL2.

Yes, prices have fallen, but still not a "petty cash" purchase.

I suppose I just have a special place in my heart for this old classic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pupduda View Post
    I have an SL2, that I love. Who is DAG, and do they still do a "silver battery conversion."
    What are silver batteries?
    Many thanks!
    Ancient thread but what the heck... :-)

The original Leicaflex SL/SL2 used mercuric oxide batteries, PX-13/PX-625 model, which have been unavailable in the US for many years due to health and environmental regulations. Silver oxide batteries come closest in overall characteristics but generate more voltage, which throws off the metering calibration. So a typical conversion involves adjusting the circuitry to restore proper meter calibration.

I have two Leicaflex SLs.. Lovely ergonomics, built like tanks, superb lenses, etc. They are complex to service and thereby pricey to restore, and at this age the prism silvering is getting a bit long in the tooth, but they are still very capable performers and a pleasure to shoot with.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Ancient thread but what the heck... :-)

The original Leicaflex SL/SL2 used mercuric oxide batteries, PX-13/PX-625 model, which have been unavailable in the US for many years due to health and environmental regulations. Silver oxide batteries come closest in overall characteristics but generate more voltage, which throws off the metering calibration. So a typical conversion involves adjusting the circuitry to restore proper meter calibration.

I have two Leicaflex SLs.. Lovely ergonomics, built like tanks, superb lenses, etc. They are complex to service and thereby pricey to restore, and at this age the prism silvering is getting a bit long in the tooth, but they are still very capable performers and a pleasure to shoot with.

G
    Good to keep this thread alive Godfrey! I bought a black SL2 awhile back and have been using the mercury free Wein 1.35v Zinc-Air batteries in both the SL2 and my Canon F1. I don't use the cameras very often, but from what I can tell, the meter etc seems to work fine.

I love the build quality of the Leica SL/SL2. :-)

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to keep this thread alive Godfrey! I bought a black SL2 awhile back and have been using the mercury free Wein 1.35v Zinc-Air batteries in both the SL2 and my Canon F1. I don't use the cameras very often, but from what I can tell, the meter etc seems to work fine.
    Nice, Gary!

The Zinc-Air replacement batteries work but are short-lived unless removed from the camera and re-sealed, which is fine for occasional shooting. A PX-625 can last for years sitting in the camera, same as a silver cell replacement. It's just a matter of how you want to work with the camera.

I'm lucky in that I still have a small cache of PX-625 fresh and new. They've been stored in the refrigerator, with dessicant, wrapped in a heavy plastic bag since I bought them. They still show as-new voltage when I test them. I have one out that I transfer between the SLs and my Rollei 35S ... :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nice, Gary!

The Zinc-Air replacement batteries work but are short-lived unless removed from the camera and re-sealed, which is fine for occasional shooting. A PX-625 can last for years sitting in the camera, same as a silver cell replacement. It's just a matter of how you want to work with the camera.

I'm lucky in that I still have a small cache of PX-625 fresh and new. They've been stored in the refrigerator, with dessicant, wrapped in a heavy plastic bag since I bought them. They still show as-new voltage when I test them. I have one out that I transfer between the SLs and my Rollei 35S ... :-)

G
    Yes, the shorter life span of the Zinc-Air batteries is definitely a downside. I only get about 3-4 months out of mine, since I leave them in the SL2 (I take them out of the Canon F1, since I use it even less frequently than the SL2). Since I don't want to modify my SL2, I figure the slight inconvenience and added cost is a small price to pay for owning and using such a fine and classic Leica SLR.

Gary