The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

processing suggestions

mwalker

Subscriber Member
While I'm waiting on the M9 to come my way I think I'll shoot film. Can someone recommend a lab where I can send out my rolls and all I want back are hi rez scans? Maybe send them a 16GB flash drive so all I have to do is down load, tweak, size and print?

helenhill

You a such a lazy Feb. first .... :eek:
at least you can Develop and send out for Scanning & Prints
thats what I Do....:D

its sooo easy and takes about 5-10 mins to wind on spool
developer /quick wash/ fixer / wash/ wetting agent / 21-23 mins
hang Dry : one hour

I have heard VERY GOOD things about Dwaynes Photo
Tel; 1 800 522 3940 or take a peek online at their services

mwalker

Subscriber Member
You a such a lazy Feb. first .... :eek:
at least you can Develop and send out for Scanning & Prints
thats what I Do....:D

its sooo easy and takes about 5-10 mins to wind on spool
developer /quick wash/ fixer / wash/ wetting agent / 21-23 mins
hang Dry : one hour

I have heard VERY GOOD things about Dwaynes Photo
Tel; 1 800 522 3940 or take a peek online at their services
What are we water carriers?...too much work..:sleep006::)
Thanks...I admit, I've become a slave to digital. I'll give em a peek.

gsking

I use Dwayne's. Their film service is great...fast and cheap. But their scans seemed average...I do much better with my own cheap V500. I didn't try a "higher tier" scan, if they offer one.

I hear West Coast Imaging's high-res service is worth it, but haven't tried them yet. $1 a frame seems cheap, but developing a 220 roll for $4.00 at Dwayne's vs. WCI for $30 or so scanned? It's over 6x the cost (or 4-5x including the cost of the film).

For that $20+, I can spend a couple hours throwing out the bad ones and scanning the other 50% that pass muster.

Of couse, upgrading to a V750 will cost me over $500, which would pay for a lot of rolls.

Still on the fence.

Professional

I use Dwayne's. Their film service is great...fast and cheap. But their scans seemed average...I do much better with my own cheap V500. I didn't try a "higher tier" scan, if they offer one.

I hear West Coast Imaging's high-res service is worth it, but haven't tried them yet. $1 a frame seems cheap, but developing a 220 roll for $4.00 at Dwayne's vs. WCI for $30 or so scanned? It's over 6x the cost (or 4-5x including the cost of the film).

For that $20+, I can spend a couple hours throwing out the bad ones and scanning the other 50% that pass muster.

Of couse, upgrading to a V750 will cost me over $500, which would pay for a lot of rolls.

Still on the fence.
Is V750 better than V700? Are there any great scanner that work with film medium format and even large format for less than $2000 or $1500-?

W

wblynch

Is V750 better than V700? Are there any great scanner that work with film medium format and even large format for less than $2000 or $1500-?
As I understand it, the V700 and the V750 are the exact same hardware but with different software packages. The V700 gets the "SE" version of Vuescan and the V750 includes the "AI" suite.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

-Bill L.

gsking

The V750 also comes with a wet mount. The V700 may be able to do it, with a third party holder?

I got the Monaco EZ Color software for free, part of the reason I wanted to get the V750 (over the V500). The software didn't work at all, but I think most of the problem is LR's color management. It sucks.

Perhaps once I get that fixed, the EZ Color will work...but then of course, I won't likely need it much, because my color accuracy may be sufficient.

Then, I probably won't find $500 of value to upgrade. The V500 is good enough for 2400dpi scans...more than enough for MF, and passable for 35mm. My biggest problem with it is Kodachrome, but I'm going to try a slide holder and digital camera first.