The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Film developing needs

ReeRay

Maybe a dumb question but please bear with me.
Just considering processing my own film (35mm and 120) and wonder if you guys and gals could advise on hardware needs.
It's been some 25 years since my last efforts and I've forgotten what I used then!
I'm looking at a Jobo CPE2 with tanks, reels, containers and measuring jugs. I figure I also need a timer, squeegee, thermometer and weighted clips to avoid curling.

Anything I've missed or alternatives please. (viz what do you use?)

Thank you in advance

sizifo

I'd say that\s it + changing bag. And the chemicals of course.

Also, I personally don't get the squeegee :) The film dries just fine of it's own accord & it's very easy to scratch it with the squeegee.

You don't indicate whether you'll be doing color or just black and white. For black and white the temperature control of a Jobo isn't necessary... especially given the high ambient temperatures where you live. Be advised that Jobo stopped making their processors years ago and that used equipment sells at a premium The large format photography forum is a good place to find used gear from time to time.

I use the Jobo system for color slides as well as black and white as I can find chemicals for both in San Francisco and having my own processor saves me lots of time running to and from labs. I'd be "all digital" were it not for that.

Best of luck in getting set up.

Lawrence

ReeRay

Thanks to you both. I'll only be doing B+W so I guess the above (minus the squeegee) will be fine.
Much appreciated

ReeRay

Thanks for the link Maggie and apologies for not seeing the earlier thread.

Development chart looks great.

Biggest issue I have is keeping down the water temps. The only time I can achieve 20 degrees is in the dead of the night after a cool day.

Seems I'm about to become nocturnal!

O

Oxide Blu

You might want to keep a pitcher of water (at 20C/68F -- or whatever) handy to use for the pre-soak and to wash after developing. After that the temp is not as critical. If you can hold the same temp through the whole dev process, great. If not, the actual developing step (with pre-soak and post dev-washing) is good enough. You can let the empty dev canister sit and warm up to room temp before continuing with fixing.

About fixing -- I cannot say enough good things about TF-3 or TF-4 for fixing films and papers. Google it, or see it here:

http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=9&CategoryID=3&langID=0

Note: TF-3 is like TF-4, except it is one of those home brew thingies for folks that like to make their own photo chemistry. TF-3 is easy to make but not worth the trouble for occasional film developing since TF-4 is cheap and easy to get.

ReeRay

Thanks for the tip. I've also been reading on the RF forum about wash temps and they seem united on this procedure:-

"I have a similar problem in mid-summer, and my solution is to cool three litres of water in jugs by adding ice. That gives me enough water for washing the film using the Ilford method (fill, invert x5; fill, invert x 10; fill, invert x 20). It seems to work fine"

Looks a good solution.

surfotog

I live in Hawaii, so have to deal with high ambient temperatures as well. There are a couple of easy ways to work around it.
If you're using one shot developer, keep a jug of water for mixing in the fridge, and one at room temp. mix the two to get close to your developing temp.
As far as i know a Jobo can only heat the tempering bath, not cool it, so i don't know how well a Jobo would suit you. If you're only doing B&W, I'd stick with a couple of SS tanks and reels. Simple and cheap. If you use this method, you'll need a tempering bath, a plastic dish pan works well. Simply fill with water and some ice to cool the chemicals to the proper temp. When you have the chemicals and water bath at the right temp, you're all set. keep the thermometer in the water bath to monitor it's temperature. When it starts to edge up a fraction, put an ice cube in for a brief period.
Using this method, I have no trouble keeping my temps within 1/2 degree.