The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new V750 dust and fog under glass????

smilem

Hi, perhaps I'll get more replies here.

I read the most EPSON V750 scanner review here:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson V750/page_1.htm

And then decided to buy it, only then I found out about PROBLEMS that nobody spoke about.

See this thread for images http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7050&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

1st problem Is that EPSON fails to understand that this is a mass production problem
7 out of 7 from different retailers over 3 months period with different serials is the proof.

2nd is that EPSON has not officially replied what is this? Top of the line scanner with glass scratches, dust inside, foggy glass to no extent. Come on you would take this scanner free or 1/3rd of the price sure, but to pay

781.974 EUR
1,136.58 USD
704.615 GBP

It's nonsense for this kind of price.

I'm all ears to what other make I can buy with similar spec/price ratio? I mean I can pay a little more it it's worth it

What other manufacturers aren't dead and make nice A4 scanners?

Mikrotek - Dead
Agfa - F1/M1 - Dead (serious dust issues)
Kodak - do they ever made a flatbed scanner?
Canon - not enough resolution (vincent review clearly shows this)
Nikon - doesn't make flatbeds AFAIK

All others used to make 12000$ SCSI scanners now do not make anything, what is your suggestion?

Valentin

I got a V750 a few months ago and I don't have these problems (knock on wood).

Did they appear over time or was it like this from the beginning?

smilem

The problems were there from the beginning, all new just unpacked scanners.
To see the fog better make sure you use

1. a good light source like halogen 50W bulb, shine the light at an angle to see the fog.
Most of the fog is on the front of the scanner.
2. Make sure you place the scanner in a dim lit room, the light inside the glass from outside light sources (like when placing scanner by the window) prevent from seeing the fog.
3. The dust particles can easily bee seen with naked eye.

JCVG

I've ordered the V700 as the V750 is not available in Thailand. First one arrived with the glass broken and second one with a dirty glass inside.

I've decided to clean it myself as sending it back to the shop, wait for a replacement (they don't have any in stock so they have to order it...) and getting a new one probably with the same problem was not a good option. Googled this problem and i found a lot of threads about it and it seems that it is a recurrent problem with Epson flat bed scanners.

Anyway it took me just few min to do it, it's very easy to open and clean it actually and I think it's something to do from time to time (but I agree that they shouldn't ship them NEW like that).

smilem

I've ordered the V700 as the V750 is not available in Thailand. First one arrived with the glass broken and second one with a dirty glass inside.
Do You have any photos of the broken glass or other defects? You can post them here you email them to me.

I've decided to clean it myself as sending it back to the shop, wait for a replacement (they don't have any in stock so they have to order it...) and getting a new one probably with the same problem was not a good option. Googled this problem and i found a lot of threads about it and it seems that it is a recurrent problem with Epson flat bed scanners.

Anyway it took me just few min to do it, it's very easy to open and clean it actually and I think it's something to do from time to time (but I agree that they shouldn't ship them NEW like that).
How you cleaned it, do you have very clean room (doubtful), or very good air purifier?

JCVG

Do You have any photos of the broken glass or other defects? You can post them here you email them to me.

How you cleaned it, do you have very clean room (doubtful), or very good air purifier?
No I don't have pictures, the shop got it broken and sent it back.

And to clean the glass it's pretty simple, open the cover and remove it (just pull gently and dont forget to unplug it), unscrew the 4 screws on the top and that's it, just remove the glass, clean it and put it back.. The most difficult part is to remove the small plastic caps hiding the screws but I did it with a cutter blade, gently...

And you do not need a clean room to do that, I don't think the scanners are assembled in a clean room anyway (or tell me how come they can have dust and dirty glasses...). And mine is cleaner than when I've got it so at least I'm happy with that.

But if you don't feel like doing it just send it back to the shop and get a new one, hopefully it will be a clean one! I just didn't want to wait few more weeks.

smilem

And to clean the glass it's pretty simple, open the cover and remove it (just pull gently and dont forget to unplug it), unscrew the 4 screws on the top and that's it, just remove the glass, clean it and put it back.. The most difficult part is to remove the small plastic caps hiding the screws but I did it with a cutter blade, gently...
I do not want to loose my warranty.

And you do not need a clean room to do that, I don't think the scanners are assembled in a clean room anyway (or tell me how come they can have dust and dirty glasses...). And mine is cleaner than when I've got it so at least I'm happy with that.
Well my friend here got a cheap Mustek A3 (dobule the glass size), no dust or dirty glass, I myself had lide80, HP ScanJet in 1999 etc. No dust issues.

New scanners should be assembled in clean room, at least 0.3micron filtration (consumer air purifiers clean to this size), so there is not excuse from EPSON for not using clean room etc.

I myself still trying to get new and working scanner to no avail.

smilem

I also would like to say that you can only see the dirty glass on EPSON V750 scanner when infact all other surfaces are dirty too (lenses, mirrors, prisms etc.)

That is because the out gassing plastic fumes had nowhere to go, they are very easy seen on coated flatbed glass. If you clean the glass yourself, you leave all other parts dirty. If you still think that cleaning is an option then what happens when it continues to outgas further ? Clean it again in 3 - 4 months?

Orthonormal

I just returned the second of two brand new Epson V750 PRO scanners that had dust on the inside of the glass straight out of the box. The second scanner also had fog on the inside of the glass near the front of the scanner.

Epson warranty service offered to replace the scanner with a refurbished unit, "guaranteed working".

Fortunately the mail order shop was helpful and offered a replacement, and then a refund. I am not going to ask them to pay round trip shipping until I get a good one, and they don't have the capability to inspect the scanner prior to shipping.

I am planning to find a local store where I can inspect the scanner prior to purchase.

In response to the comment that dust on the inside of the glass should be sufficiently out of focus that it wouldn't affect the scan: I first noticed the dust in the preview image when I scanned the calibration target at 300dpi. It does show up in the scans.

I really can't believe that Epson is letting these "PRO" scanners ship with such gross contamination.

Orthonormal

If you are the United States and have gotten a V750 or V700 with dust inside the glass, call pre-sales support at (800) 463-7766, ask for pre-sales scanner support, and let them know about your problem and where you got the scanner. The agent I spoke with said that he had recently had a caller with a similar problem, and that he was concerned about the problem and would notify the relevant departments. That was a much better response than I got from technical support; the tech support agents all seem to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

photoSmart42

My V750 had some fogging, but took the platen off and cleaned it. Took about 3 mins start to finish. No breaking of warranty (you're not cutting away any seals doing that). Even industrial, professional scanners require regular maintenance (I have a Screen Cezanne as well), so to expect a consumer scanner to run maintenance-free forever is a bit optimistic I'd say. Honestly it takes less time to clean the scanner glass than it does to write this post.

smilem

My V750 had some fogging, but took the platen off and cleaned it. Took about 3 mins start to finish. No breaking of warranty (you're not cutting away any seals doing that). Even industrial, professional scanners require regular maintenance (I have a Screen Cezanne as well), so to expect a consumer scanner to run maintenance-free forever is a bit optimistic I'd say. Honestly it takes less time to clean the scanner glass than it does to write this post.
I do expect consumer level (it that is even true), this the best model they make to be free from any dust visible to the eye WHEN BRAND NEW.

smilem

If you are the United States and have gotten a V750 or V700 with dust inside the glass, call pre-sales support at (800) 463-7766, ask for pre-sales scanner support, and let them know about your problem and where you got the scanner. The agent I spoke with said that he had recently had a caller with a similar problem, and that he was concerned about the problem and would notify the relevant departments. That was a much better response than I got from technical support; the tech support agents all seem to be dumber than a bag of hammers.
No I'm from, Europe. After returning nearly 20 scanners I decided to wait a bit and see if Epson will fix this. I'll buy then after 6 months or so. I did not give up.

jsf

I have a v750 and in fact it is my second Epson scanner I have never had any problem like this. But I think dust is always an endemic problem with scanning. I spend a half an hour or less spotting each and every image that I am going to print, I have never actually thought of the source of the dust, but since it is relatively sharp I assumed it was on the exterior of the platen or on the negative itself. I have so far despite my cats best efforts avoided cat hair but I imagine it is only a matter of time. Joe

M

mbphoto

Got my brand new V750 a week ago. Three big dust spots and haze under the glas, Epson support said that I would have been the first with such problems.
Called my local dealer and they ordered a new one for me. They said they sometimes have those problems but not so often.

So the new one arrived yesterday, there is only one dust spot under the glas but the glas is absolutely hazy, wow, looks like it would have never been cleaned...

Epson second level support was not able to help me, he said some other support people would call me...

Payed about 800 Euros for this poor quality. Canon would have been at about 250 Euros...

thrice

Mine is hazy, I've ignored it because I'm lazy. I'll get around to cleaning it after I move.