The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

120mm film scanner recommendations

Godfrey

My photographic druthers have moved around a lot in the past year and some. Nowadays, I'm shooting mostly with the M9 and X2 for digital, and shooting a good deal more 35mm (M4-2 and CL) and 120 (6x6 folders) film again.

I've been scanning 120 format with my still-ancient Epson 2450, having sold the V700 some time past as I didn't really see all that much improvement. The 2450 works well regardless of its age, but I know that, just like with 35mm film, I'll gain a lot more of what my cameras are capable of with a film scanner.

The Nikon Coolscan 9000 is long gone now with good used examples running around $2000 from Ebay.

There's a new Plustek OpticFilm 120 scanner due for release very soon ... here's the B&H link for pre-orders:
bhphotovideo.com - Plustek_Optic_Film_120_Scanner

It going to cost new about the same as the Nikon and includes both 35 and 120 trays. The 120 tray design looks very interesting, with securing bars adjustable for format and individual camera spacing. It looks like an interesting, simple and reliable design. 5300 ppi ... woof, that makes 140+ mpixel.

I'm keeping it in my wish list ... probably wait until next year because I've more than tapped out my camera equipment spending budget this year (!) what with the M9, Bessa III, X2 and all the other purchases...

Last edited:

mathomas

Very interested in that PlusTek scanner, as I have separate 35mm and 120 scanners at the moment. Big bux though, so I'll have to see plenty of reviews first.

250swb

I wonder if '5300 dpi' is real dpi, not the scanner manufacturers convention of quoting interpolated figures to make the scanner seem a higher resolution than it is. They are all guilty of it.

But the Plustek 120 does look interesting, especially at a time when Nikon are washing their hands of servicing their scanners anymore, parts being no longer available. What a price though! Considering you can buy both an Epson V700 for quick contact sheets and medium and large format negs, and a Plustek 7600 for dedicated 35mm, so getting the best of both worlds at less than half the price, then the 120 had better be amazing!

Steve

Jeremy

I'm very curious about this Plustek vs my Imacon Precision due to the higher ppi (and non-SCSI interface!)