The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Video - Wet Mounting Film for Drum Scanning

Mr.Gale

Over the years I have been asked several times to describe how I mount film so I decided to make a video. I just posted it to YouTube (How to Wet Mount Film for Drum Scanning.wmv - YouTube ).
Questions and comment are welcome. Just remember, this is how I DO IT, I'm not saying it is the best way, the only way or the fastest way.
One comment I have received states that my method is "painful for me to watch as it was much too laborious than necessary". My intentions were never to cause anyone pain :). In real time it takes me ~10 minutes too load a drum.
Thanks,

Gale

Lars

Thanks for posting this, Gale.

It's always interesting to see how people approach wetmounting - I apply fluid as the image is rolled onto the drum rather than afterwards.

Also interesting (and sad) to see that ruined drum at the end of the video. I was lucky to get four good drums with my Howtek, and I'm of course very careful with them.

-Lars

Mr.Gale

Thanks Lars for the comment .
I also squirt mounting fluid on the film and drum when rolling, if I don't have enough that's when I run it down the drum.
Taking care of the drums is so important, that's why I talked about it at the end of the video. No matter how nice a scanner you have if you don't have a good drum, the scanner is almost worthless.

Gale