The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Film holders for V750 & 6x17

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone experience with scanning larger 6x17 film with the Epson V750?

Just wondering in particular about experiences with the betterscanning.com MF adjustable holder and whether I need to go back to wet mount. It's been a while since I've scanned anything and 4x5 & 6x7 were the largest that I ever processed (wet mount for 4x5). Any issues with film curvature on the V750 with larger 6x17 strips?

I feel like a total newbie again ...

250swb

The biggest MF scans I have done with the standard holders are 6x12 (from my modified Holga 120Pan with a 90mm Angulon attached). Film flatness is touch and go where it curls at the unclamped/unsupported end, but I'm not getting getting soft detail so it is working. It very much depends on the film though. Ilford FP4 lies dead flat for instance, ADOX CHS 50 has a slight curl, and Fuji Neopan is a total nightmare, so you'd probably need the betterscanning holder if your main film has a tendency to curl.

Steve

Lars

Wetmount? I haven't used a V750 but wetmounting on a flatbed is very easy (at least compared to a drum scanner).

johnnygoesdigital

Graham-

Had a chance to play a little with the betterscanning back for v700/750. First off, the quality of the build is very good. It feels solid and not flimsy at all, and the glass insert tamed my 612 negs right away, and loading film in the channel is so easy! The t-locks are a good idea, but use care when pushing them in, or otherwise they'll wear quicker and not have tight tolerances. There's excellent instructions on their website for adjusting height and general use. Overall, I'm very satisfied, but will compare two images scanned with this and the OEM from Epson.