Site Sponsors

Thread: The look of film

nei1

The look of film

I suggest this as an idea very badly executed by me here,but maybe between those in the technical know a standardized way of showing how an individual film looks when printed together with an enlargement to show the grain could be worked out.Even the same film developed in different developers,but a standard way of displaying would have to be set out.
    This is kodak tech pan ,the section is 100%view of the red square.____________Neil.
    Last edited by nei1; 19th November 2008 at 11:22.

nei1

Re: The look of film

Looks like this was A BIT OF A DUMB IDEA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it's a good idea Neil, but perhaps we need some kind of a "standardized" image for folks to share so it's easier to discern differences. I might suggest a shot of a standard MacBeth color checker shot under open shade or diffused sunlight might work. In addition to grain patterns, it would give folks an idea of spectral response...

Just a thought,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Neil, I wonder if "working the grain out" should an objective ... maybe for some types of shots? Is that the idea?

Embrace The Grain!

I shoot film FOR the grain ... it's the look I want, at least when shooting B&W. Not necessarily Delta 3200, but usually the ISO 400 emulsions ... but I don't shoot landscapes (except maybe urban landscapes) ... if I did, I'd probably use a MF Digital camera for that.

I just don't evaluate film shots on the web where back-lit screens and 100% views enhance the grain more than it will actually appear on a reflective medium ... I tend to check prints at viewing distance. It's a whole different criteria.

nei1

Fotografz,I think youve misunderstood,my fault,Im after a kind of reference point where you could look to see if you like a particular film or way of developing it.Ive used kodak tech pan as an example because its what I was printing when this occured to me,not because I dont like grain,quite the opposite in fact.Sorry for the confusing post,Neil.

nei1

Jack,what I would like to see is that this is contributed to by anyone ,what needs to be decided is the standard object that could be photographed and under what standard lighting conditions,and how to acheive them.The individual could take the test photo mid roll and develop to taste,then post it here with a 100% enlargement(or Less or more)as a record of that film developer combination.This all depends on being able to decide on an easy to set up,consistent subject.___________ Neil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe we need to start by listing our set of priorities...

For me, I like the look from conventional B&W emulsions. To my thinking, it is not only the grain (and like Marc, ISO 400 emulsions seem to be the sweet-spot for grain), but also like the halation effect, micro contrast and response curve contrast heels and toes. For me, ALL of those are tough to replicate via digital and why I like film.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."