The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Banding

MikalWGrass

I have been getting alot of banding in my scans lately. Can anyone tell me why? Using Vuescan and a Coolscan 9000. This was shot at a mud race with an M6 and either TriX or HP5. Thanks.

Shashin

That is cool. It might be your scanner not moving the scan head properly. You could test to see whether it is the software by trying with the CoolScan driver and see if you get the same results. Otherwise the scanner may have to go back for servicing.

Oren Grad

This is a problem that the 9000 inherited from the 8000.

Two things to try:

1. Different software - Nikon Scan, or SilverFast if you have access to it.

2. Set your software to "fine scanning" mode. (The exact term may be different; I don't have VueScan handy just now.) This will force the 9000 to scan in single-line mode rather than three-line mode. Scans will take longer, but this should squelch any banding.

tjv

I've found that for the 9000ed you MUST set the "fine mode" in Viewscan to on, else this will happen. It fixes the problem 100%.