The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Expired Fuji 3000b Instant Film Characteristics

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just wondering what happens with B&W instant film after it expires? I've been offered a boat load of expired Fuji 3000b instant film at a silly price and I was wondering what would be the characteristics of expired chemistry with instant film?

I know how colour instant film shifts but not B&W.

Btw, loving shooting this film with a Polaroid back on my Rollei 6008! Great fun just having the freedom to shoot anytime anywhere with relatively slow but beautifully rendering Zeiss & Schneider glass.

darr

I still shoot expired Polaroid 55 in my 4x5". As long as my film has been kept in the frig (not freezer), the chemicals do okay.

robertwright

also depends on how expired is expired- really really old polaroid sometimes will not process properly, the goo gets thick or dries out and will not spread evenly across the sheet when you pull it through the rollers- so you get streaks where there is no development.

some people like the "accidents" you get with this.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks folks - the film is from 2001 so it's into the territory of it needs to be free to be worth my while trying. I think I'll give it a miss because degunking the Polaroid back is a pain as it is without dealing with rogue chemistry or leaky film.

Btw, with expired colour I was getting some pretty wild magenta images. Kind of interesting actually. :thumbs:

It's been fun getting back to shooting instant film. I still have my old 4x5 holders but alas the missing ingredient is the film. Oh well. It would be nice to have a bigger positive print but I'm going to play with scanning the negatives too.