The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to 120 Scanning

GaryAyala

I haven't shot Medium Format since the 1970's. I've just purchased a Fuji GX 689III.

I'm looking for a custom lab for scanning in Los Angeles.

Recommendations for a decent scanner which won't break the bank.

Thanks,
Gary

250swb

A good scanner would be the Epson V700, excellent for MF and LF, not so good for 35mm though. I use the Betterscanning film holders with ANR glass but the standard holders still do a good job if you take the time to test the focus calibration. With a good workflow you can get a very high quality scan.

Steve

4season

I'm new to scanning film too, but I recently scored a new-in-box V700 for $350 from a local Craigslist seller. I updated to the latest Epson Scan software, and also purchased VueScan software which allows greater control.

I'm pleased with what I'm seeing, though color correction, particularly of color negatives, is still proving kind of tricky in VueScan.

The stock plastic film carriers are working okay for me but I'll probably upgrade these at some point. Impression is that my film (up to 6x6 images anyhow; I haven't gotten to my 6x9 and 4"x5" negatives yet) are being held reasonably flat, but the carriers are kind of annoying to work with, and once I get past the practice phase, I'll want something that can be loaded and unloaded faster, and which allows me to scan clear to the edge of the emulsion.

250swb

To get the best image from the stock holders you need to do a focus test using the adjustable feet and see which setting gives the sharpest image. The Betterscanning holders have finely adjustable feet and can be an improvement.

For the colour correction in Vuescan as always try to aim for a flat low contrast scan without any clipping (it should look horrible) and choose a film type from the menu that most closely matches what you are scanning, with any luck the exact type will be on the list. You should then get another drop down menu with further options and you just choose the one that is nearest to perfect in terms of colour balance. Scan and then adjust contrast to how you want it in Photoshop and then tweak the colour balance.

Ultimately it isn't worth trying for a finished product direct from the scanner.

Steve

GaryAyala

To get the best image from the stock holders you need to do a focus test using the adjustable feet and see which setting gives the sharpest image. The Betterscanning holders have finely adjustable feet and can be an improvement.

For the colour correction in Vuescan as always try to aim for a flat low contrast scan without any clipping (it should look horrible) and choose a film type from the menu that most closely matches what you are scanning, with any luck the exact type will be on the list. You should then get another drop down menu with further options and you just choose the one that is nearest to perfect in terms of colour balance. Scan and then adjust contrast to how you want it in Photoshop and then tweak the colour balance.

Ultimately it isn't worth trying for a finished product direct from the scanner.

Steve
Really good tips. Thank you very much. Keep 'em coming ... lol.

Gary

Paul H

You can get some anti reflective glass cut that will sit in the Epson 120 film holders. Remove the hinged piece of plastic, lay the film strip in the holder, then the ANR glass on top of the film. If the film is really curly, tape the film at the ends to the ANR glass.

GaryAyala

You can get some anti reflective glass cut that will sit in the Epson 120 film holders. Remove the hinged piece of plastic, lay the film strip in the holder, then the ANR glass on top of the film. If the film is really curly, tape the film at the ends to the ANR glass.
Thanks. It seems that a bit of ANR glass is the trick ... or buy a Plustek at twice the cost. I have decided between an Epson or Plustek. No real rush yet as my film backs haven't arrived.