The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just bought an Imacon flextight precision ii - What else do I need?

I just bought a Imacon Precision ii. Doesn't have any cables other than an AC adapter.

I would like to use it with my 2010 mac pro. Has anyone used the scsi to usb2.0 cables? Do they work?

What else do I need? This is my first scanner. I've been getting my film scanned with a lab, and finally decided I would start scanning since its costing me a fortune to get it done at the lab.

Do I need a program? Or is that downloadable from Hasselblad?

For older Imacons you need SCSI or anther adapter whose name I can't remember - I think I have one at work and will see what it is if nobody else names it.

When I had one I used Hbd software, but it depends on how you like to scan. Some folks want to do a kind of post-processing when they scan. But I always just set Levels to get full tonal range and did everything else in PS.

if you use Hbd software, remember no sharpening/'Texture' isn't zero - it's a negative number.

There are a number of tutorial on the internet that show you just how to use it. I viewed those from RayKo, a SF rental lab that posted videos for their customers who wanted to rent time on their Imacons.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk,
Do you know if a scsi adapter to usb2.0 would work with a modern Mac USB?

Or should I just buy an older Mac that works with scsi? Would be nice to not have to buy another computer.

For older Imacons you need SCSI or anther adapter whose name I can't remember - I think I have one at work and will see what it is if nobody else names it.

When I had one I used Hbd software, but it depends on how you like to scan. Some folks want to do a kind of post-processing when they scan. But I always just set Levels to get full tonal range and did everything else in PS.

if you use Hbd software, remember no sharpening/'Texture' isn't zero - it's a negative number.

There are a number of tutorial on the internet that show you just how to use it. I viewed those from RayKo, a SF rental lab that posted videos for their customers who wanted to rent time on their Imacons.

Kirk

2WK

I'm bet it will work fine with Sierra. Sierra is much more versatile in regards to hardware compatibility.

For example... prior to sierra if you wanted a new video card in your Mac Pro (non trashcan) there was a specific list of certain PC cards that would work...and most wouldn't work. After Sierra, pretty much all video cards will work! You can now stuff a GTX 1080 (one of the highest end gaming cards) into a mac pro and it will work. This has really rejuvenated that old tower. In fact, I just built an older tower for a friend for his 3d rendering needs. 12-cores, GTX 1080 8GB, 64 gigs of ram and a SSD HD

I think I can find my old Ratoc converter at work. The $500 price on Amazon is a real scalping – I think I paid $129 + shipping, back when they first became hard to find.

My recollection is that I never used it, because I happened to have an old Mac with SCSI port – gave away the old computer with the scanner when I sold it. I'd read that Ratoc converters were touchy and sometimes had to be re-connected.

Kirk

Here's the Ratoc thingy – I even remembered which drawer to look in!

Ratoc.jpg

It's the converter with a SCSI adapter attached. Has Firewire ports. Looks like the hookup is explained in link under Post #4 above.

If you need it, PM me – any reasonable offer, but well below the $499 Amazon price!

Kirk

Here's the Ratoc thingy – I even remembered which drawer to look in!

It's the converter with a SCSI adapter attached. Has Firewire ports. Looks like the hookup is explained in link under Post #4 above.

If you need it, PM me – any reasonable offer, but well below the $499 Amazon price!

Kirk
(I sold it some time ago.)

joasphoto

I just bought a Imacon Precision ii. Doesn't have any cables other than an AC adapter.

I would like to use it with my 2010 mac pro. Has anyone used the scsi to usb2.0 cables? Do they work?

What else do I need? This is my first scanner. I've been getting my film scanned with a lab, and finally decided I would start scanning since its costing me a fortune to get it done at the lab.

Do I need a program? Or is that downloadable from Hasselblad?
Did you manage to make it work on your Mac in the end? I'm about to buy one and my Mac is 2013 (still on El Captain).

anyone

My recommendation is to always look for the scanner AND mac - this will save you a lot of worries. To my knowledge, SCSI to anything adapters are not really working well with the devices, and there is a lot of luck and trial and error included to get it working. A top notch Mac pro from that time doesn‘t cost anything and also looks nice.

250swb

I think things have moved on since the conversation started, nowadays a 47mp camera, macro lens, copy stand, neg holder and a light table will do better and do it reliably.

rmueller

I was close to get a Flextight scanner but then decided against it because of the HW and SW issues that come with this.

Purchased a 5x7“ light source and film holders from negative.supply and scan my 4x5” and 120mm with my H6D50c from a stand. Glad I didn’t get into this mess with a scanner, 50MP ”scans” from a 4x5” negative are outstanding and I won’t need an old MBP and software.

Hope you get the scanner working though, after all it seems a great device to work with

Regards,
Ralf

MartinN

My opinion is that I would never get into the mess with a repro camera setup;). I want the convenience of my compact desktop Plustek Opticfilm 120, but of course it can’t do sheet film. Still about 5000 ppi resolution is more than enough,I just want films 100lp/mm and greater. And I didn’t want some old SCSI computer setup. What I like most is the relaxed workflow, do a prescan, and then leave the scanner to do it’s job with IR multipass.

anyone

I own an older Flextight model and am very happy with the results. It’s also fast and hazzle-free! Just a bit low resolution for 4x5 film. But if I need more I drum scan. That is neither fast nor hazzle-free though. I guess camera scanning vs dedicated scanners have both its pro’s and con’s.