Site Sponsors

Thread: Just bought an Imacon flextight precision ii - What else do I need?

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought an Imacon flextight precision ii - What else do I need?

I just bought a Imacon Precision ii. Doesn't have any cables other than an AC adapter.

I would like to use it with my 2010 mac pro. Has anyone used the scsi to usb2.0 cables? Do they work?

What else do I need? This is my first scanner. I've been getting my film scanned with a lab, and finally decided I would start scanning since its costing me a fortune to get it done at the lab.

Do I need a program? Or is that downloadable from Hasselblad?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought an Imacon flextight precision ii - What else do I need?

For older Imacons you need SCSI or anther adapter whose name I can't remember - I think I have one at work and will see what it is if nobody else names it.

When I had one I used Hbd software, but it depends on how you like to scan. Some folks want to do a kind of post-processing when they scan. But I always just set Levels to get full tonal range and did everything else in PS.

if you use Hbd software, remember no sharpening/'Texture' isn't zero - it's a negative number.

There are a number of tutorial on the internet that show you just how to use it. I viewed those from RayKo, a SF rental lab that posted videos for their customers who wanted to rent time on their Imacons.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kirk,
    Do you know if a scsi adapter to usb2.0 would work with a modern Mac USB?

Or should I just buy an older Mac that works with scsi? Would be nice to not have to buy another computer.

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    For older Imacons you need SCSI or anther adapter whose name I can't remember - I think I have one at work and will see what it is if nobody else names it.

When I had one I used Hbd software, but it depends on how you like to scan. Some folks want to do a kind of post-processing when they scan. But I always just set Levels to get full tonal range and did everything else in PS.

if you use Hbd software, remember no sharpening/'Texture' isn't zero - it's a negative number.

There are a number of tutorial on the internet that show you just how to use it. I viewed those from RayKo, a SF rental lab that posted videos for their customers who wanted to rent time on their Imacons.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You SO much!!! Do you think it will work on Sierra? Or do I need to buy another Mac that runs Snow Leopard?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm bet it will work fine with Sierra. Sierra is much more versatile in regards to hardware compatibility.

For example... prior to sierra if you wanted a new video card in your Mac Pro (non trashcan) there was a specific list of certain PC cards that would work...and most wouldn't work. After Sierra, pretty much all video cards will work! You can now stuff a GTX 1080 (one of the highest end gaming cards) into a mac pro and it will work. This has really rejuvenated that old tower. In fact, I just built an older tower for a friend for his 3d rendering needs. 12-cores, GTX 1080 8GB, 64 gigs of ram and a SSD HD

Post Thanks / Like

I think I can find my old Ratoc converter at work. The $500 price on Amazon is a real scalping – I think I paid $129 + shipping, back when they first became hard to find.

My recollection is that I never used it, because I happened to have an old Mac with SCSI port – gave away the old computer with the scanner when I sold it. I'd read that Ratoc converters were touchy and sometimes had to be re-connected.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I though u had a new mac pro. If you have the older tower you can just put a SCSI PCI card into it and hook the scanner directly to that.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Adaptec-2906-.../dp/B00005111H

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Ratoc thingy – I even remembered which drawer to look in!

Name:  Ratoc.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  66.4 KB

It's the converter with a SCSI adapter attached. Has Firewire ports. Looks like the hookup is explained in link under Post #4 above.

If you need it, PM me – any reasonable offer, but well below the $499 Amazon price!

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Here's the Ratoc thingy I even remembered which drawer to look in!

It's the converter with a SCSI adapter attached. Has Firewire ports. Looks like the hookup is explained in link under Post #4 above.

If you need it, PM me any reasonable offer, but well below the $499 Amazon price!

Kirk
    (I sold it some time ago.)