The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

120 Scanning

MartinN

By the way I have tested my scanners with a SilverFast USAF 1951 target slide and my conclusion is that Epson V700 is optimised for Filesize vs. Resolution with an scanning resolution of 3200ppi, the Plustek Opticfilm 7400 at 3600ppi and the Plustek OpticFilm 120 at 4000ppi or 5300ppi depending on ultimate quality requirements. That's about how to get the most out of these devices. The V700 had about measured resolution of 2300-2600ppi and the OF7400 about 3400-3500ppi and OF120 about 4000-4300ppi.

Last edited:

MartinN

When scanning and peeping at 100% detail and sharpness there are indeed differences. But practically few print images really that big. And considering the price difference between a flatbed scan and a high end scan, there is in my opinion not so much practical difference justifying the price.

The other important thing about scanning is that the softwares really suck. There is about only two bad solutions to choose from. Silverfast or VueScan. Silverfast has a neat user interface but the implementation of image editing is really, really bad. VueScan has an user interface like from some 1990:s software and editing is at least very frustrating and can really only adjust brightness.

I want some new thought out software like Lightroom !!!

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, the 800/850 may have a bit better film holders, but one has to consider that the used Epson V700/V750 takes two strips of MF film whereas the Epson V800/850 only takes one. Epson have also made the desicion to decrease the slot number in 35mm and LF 4x5 film holders as well. Therefore I would consider the V700/750 the 'fastest flatbed' solution to unattended scanning of a lot of frames at once. Of course the 800/850 film holders can be of a better design but there is the option of buying Betterscanning filmholders with ANR glass which I have. http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/vseries.html

I have measured the focal point of my Epson V700 scanner using a slanted object (made with 3M Magic Tape) and I have even designed my custom 9x12 LF film holders with 3mm thick cardboard and matte frame glass. Indeed the Epson is a magic device, in that it can can use the whole bed for transparent film scanning (8x10 film).
I forgot about the V700/750, and you are right of course. Unfortunately, they are difficult to find used, and new ones aren't available anymore, not that I know of anyway.

MartinN

I forgot about the V700/750, and you are right of course. Unfortunately, they are difficult to find used, and new ones aren't available anymore, not that I know of anyway.
I have seen some Finnish users giving up and selling their Epson V700/750 for supposed leaving only their digital cameras for daily usage.

If you are shopping for a new Epson I would not hesitate to buy the V800/V850 because scanners can fail and some have reported the glass going 'cloudy' after som plastic degassing inside the scanner and thus requiring disassembly and manual cleaning. Of course you can then also skip the Epson holders altogether and go for the 'two strip' betterscanning holder that is not flimsy.