The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Am I understand stand development correctly?

jodad

Hi Guys,
Can you help me out and let me know if I’ve got this right please?
My understanding is that with semi stand development (one turn of the tank at the midpoint of the development time) the duration that the film is in the developer depends on the developer itself (and the dilution) rather than the film and speed (pushed or not). Generally.

I tried stand development with a roll of 120 that I had preloaded into a tank months ago and never gotten round to developing. I totally forgot what the film was so I figured, based on what I remembered of some reading I did in the past, that stand development would solve that. I did it in HC110 for 45 mins with a turn halfway.
It developed the film nicely.
I was thinking, since the development time depends on the developer and not the film/speed then:
1) If I have a multi reel tank, I can put in a variety of B&W films of different brands with different box speeds and/or pushed/pulled speeds and they should all develop fine (assuming no issued with banding and streaking etc.) right?
And,
2) If the answer to the above is a "YES", that I can develop any combination of B&W films at (almost) any combination of ISOs then, I guess that I could develop a single roll where some of the frames were shot at box and other frames pushed and others pulled perhaps.

Am I right with the two statements I have made above?

darr

Hi Guys,
Can you help me out and let me know if I’ve got this right please?
My understanding is that with semi stand development (one turn of the tank at the midpoint of the development time) the duration that the film is in the developer depends on the developer itself (and the dilution) rather than the film and speed (pushed or not). Generally.

I tried stand development with a roll of 120 that I had preloaded into a tank months ago and never gotten round to developing. I totally forgot what the film was so I figured, based on what I remembered of some reading I did in the past, that stand development would solve that. I did it in HC110 for 45 mins with a turn halfway.
It developed the film nicely.
I was thinking, since the development time depends on the developer and not the film/speed then:
1) If I have a multi reel tank, I can put in a variety of B&W films of different brands with different box speeds and/or pushed/pulled speeds and they should all develop fine (assuming no issued with banding and streaking etc.) right?
And,
2) If the answer to the above is a "YES", that I can develop any combination of B&W films at (almost) any combination of ISOs then, I guess that I could develop a single roll where some of the frames were shot at box and other frames pushed and others pulled perhaps.

Am I right with the two statements I have made above?

If your exposure for all the film equates to Normal (N) development, then stand development should be okay. That is if you like where the highlights may go with the particular developer you use. I like Pyrocat HD for stand development because I like the soft glow of the highlights it can produce.

If you are exposing for the shadows and developing for the highlights and coming up with development times that requires N-1, N-2 and/or N+1, N+2, etc, you may not get the results you are aiming for. When you stand develop, you expand highlight development.

If nothing else, try it and see if you like the results.

Kind regards,
Darr