The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New film processor

Oren Grad

One roll at a time is horribly inefficient if you're shooting much at all. I'm also skeptical that the recommended method of agitation by rotary crank will deliver even results, though perhaps one can help by giving the tank an overall shake at suitable intervals. But if even results can in fact be obtained consistently, then certainly there will be circumstances where this would be very useful. My darkroom's still going strong so I don't have a pressing need for it myself, but I'll look forward to seeing user reports and hope it works out.

You can see the instruction manual here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/907f45_14bab5c496c14d39b00d3931e7e6e6e5.pdf

EDIT: OK, I see from the instructions that they really don't want the tank to be "tipped and moved", as the design of the tank evidently makes it prone to leakage. Here's hoping they tested the design thoroughly for standing flow patterns and uneven development with the rotary agitation.

Last edited:

darr

I watched a video review by Matt Day and have decided to stay with my Paterson tanks.
But, I am always interested in hearing about new designs and ideas.

This might be something of interest to a new film shooter that does not have access to a darkroom or the idea of using a dark bag is not appealing.
Whatever keeps people using film is a good thing to me.

Matt's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMl7rnPO-48

Kind regards,
Darr

Oren Grad

This might be something of interest to a new film shooter that does not have access to a darkroom or the idea of using a dark bag is not appealing. Whatever keeps people using film is a good thing to me.
Yes! It's good to see vendors thinking about ways of attracting new users. There's lots of activity on the camera front, but thinking specifically about darkroom/film processing, Harman/Ilford recently introduced this:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/simplicity-starter-pack

Pricey on a per-roll basis, but it might go well with the Lab-Box. Also, much easier to take with you on-the-go than traditional bottled chemicals.

scho

I watched a video review by Matt Day and have decided to stay with my Paterson tanks.
But, I am always interested in hearing about new designs and ideas.

This might be something of interest to a new film shooter that does not have access to a darkroom or the idea of using a dark bag is not appealing.
Whatever keeps people using film is a good thing to me.

Matt's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMl7rnPO-48

Kind regards,
Darr
I no longer have a darkroom so I ordered the lab Box (dual mode) and I'll try it using CineStill Df96 monobath with both 35 and 120 BW film. I'll report back on my experience and post a few scans.

Oren Grad

I no longer have a darkroom so I ordered the lab Box (dual mode) and I'll try it using CineStill Df96 monobath with both 35 and 120 BW film. I'll report back on my experience and post a few scans.
Thanks, will look forward to your report. Lab-Box-plus-monobath has got to be as convenient as it can get if one doesn't have a darkroom.

pegelli

Indeed a great tool for people without a dark place where they can load film in a Patterson tank. But I don't think I'll get one, you need 200 cc more fluid to fill it (for 135 film, and I always use one-shot developer) and the agitation seems to give less possibilities than classic tanks which you can tip.

Thanks for posting the review Darr, I enjoyed watching how it all worked.

Photon42

These guys (ars-imago) are quite close to me in Zurich. They used to have an online store only but since two years or so run a real store. Sometimes run slightly chaotic, but always with passion. They also sell used and new film gear (Leica analog included).

For Switzerland the price is acceptable. I know people who bought the kit. For me a changing bag and a small steel tank is all I normally need.

darr

+1 for how this processor loads film for a new-to-film photographer.

I have had an occasional digital student want to try film, but then see them become discouraged after trying to load the reels. I tell them it took me about 10 rolls to find my technique, but then the conversation quickly turns to financial concerns and fears of damaged film. :(

I do believe this processor has a place in the market. As Oren stated the use of "Lab-Box-plus-monobath" can help motivate people to try film.

I certainly hope it is successful and I look forward to hearing user experiences, especially from photographers that stay with it over time.
Nothing like a new product that helps people move up the ladder in film.

Oren Grad

I have had an occasional digital student want to try film, but then see them become discouraged after trying to load the reels. I tell them it took me about 10 rolls to find my technique, but then the conversation quickly turns to financial concerns and fears of damaged film. :(
Reminds me that back in the day, the prejudice was "Real Photographers Use Stainless Reels". But when I set up my first darkroom in 1979 I bought Paterson instead, and I haven't looked back. Whatever works to help new users get to the joy of seeing their own negatives and prints is fair game IMO.

Meanwhile, a search led to this recent mini-review on Bellamy Hunt's site of the Lab-Box with Ars-Imago monobath:

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2019/06/photography-ars-imago-lab-box-monobath-review/

darr

Reminds me that back in the day, the prejudice was "Real Photographers Use Stainless Reels". But when I set up my first darkroom in 1979 I bought Paterson instead, and I haven't looked back. Whatever works to help new users get to the joy of seeing their own negatives and prints is fair game IMO.

Meanwhile, a search led to this recent mini-review on Bellamy Hunt's site of the Lab-Box with Ars-Imago monobath:

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2019/06/photography-ars-imago-lab-box-monobath-review/
Thanks for the link Oren.
Good review with ... photos!!

scho

My Lab Box and Cinestill monobath arrived today so I shot some old 120 Acros 100 in a Pentax 645N for some testing. Loading and processing in the Lab Box was very smooth, quick and couldn't be easier. After the monobath treatment (4 minutes total at 74 degrees F with intermittent agitation) I just poured solution (490 ml) back into the bottle for re-use and then washed in running water, hung to air dry. Scanned a few frames using my Sony A7R (m) with CV 65 macro with negs on a LED tracing tablet. Very easy process and I will explore further with some 35mm.

scho

Round 2 with the Lab Box and CineStill monobath. This time I switched to the 35mm module to process a roll of Kodak Tri X 400 shot in an old Leica CL with 40/2 lens and dark yellow filter (shouldn't have used the filter). Again film loading was easy with no problems. Same processing as yesterday with the 120 (4 minutes, intermittent agitation). One glitch occurred near the end of processing when I switched from clockwise rotation to counter clockwise and the end of the film caught and tangled. They do warn in the instructions to only rotate clockwise, so lesson learned. I probably didn't roll the end of the film onto the take up spool far enough and this is what created the problem. No major damage other than some kinking near the end of the roll. Negatives were all cleared properly, but compared to the 120 Acros they were a little gritty and not as sharp.

Oren Grad

Round 2 with the Lab Box and CineStill monobath. This time I switched to the 35mm module to process a roll of Kodak Tri X 400... Negatives were all cleared properly, but compared to the 120 Acros they were a little gritty and not as sharp.
I'd guess that's a TX-in-monobath thing, not so much anything attributable to the processor.

scho

Last trial with the Lab Box and CineStill monobath using CineStill 135 BWXX at EI 200, 5 minutes intermittent agitation. Looks like TriX, gritty. I've also had some problems loading 36 exp rolls on the Lab Box reel. Need to be very careful centering the clip on the film and making sure the film is not binding. Think that they need to re-design the reels with better material and film groove spacing also.