The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scanning film in London

sizifo

Hi.

I was wondering if anybody had a tip on getting 120 film scanned in london (england).

I'm not really interested in printing from the scans. It's just that previously I had the a whole B&W darkroom printing setup, that I had to leave behind. Now I'd just be interested in getting the films scanned in order to view the photos on the computer, as a temporary solution. When budget allows I am planning to get a decent scanner.

At the moment I know: Jessops charges 14 pounds for a film (and for some reason 8 if they develop it themselves, which I don't want). Snappy snapz charges something equally ridiculous for 2mb jpegs.

There must be better solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Lars

If I were you I would ask around with my friends in London if anyone has an Epson flatbed that I could borrow for a few hours.

sizifo

Yes, something like that is an option. Though I'd most prefer a place that does scans for something like 5 pounds per 120 film, an no need to bother anybody. I don't shoot that much anyway at the moment..

On the other hand - maybe I could get one of these cheapo scanners. Do you have any particular such flatbed in mind, that costs less than 200 pounds, and would yield consistent results without too much experience? I'm talking just web quality here. Consistency and ease of use would be important, since I'm sort of afraid of getting into something that I can imagine would be a huge time drain.

Not that getting into darkroom printing in the bathroom isn't the biggest time drain known to man...

sizifo

Thanks - does seem like a good idea. Didn't take much to get convinced. It's on the way, 120 pounds from amazon.

One more question...

How do you deal with the over-optimistic resolution? Tell the scanner to scan at less? Downsample? Or just keep the huge files?

Lars

Thanks - does seem like a good idea. Didn't take much to get convinced. It's on the way, 120 pounds from amazon.

One more question...

How do you deal with the over-optimistic resolution? Tell the scanner to scan at less? Downsample? Or just keep the huge files?
Hehe shoot from the hip no hesitation :toocool:

If the scanner is soft it captures a wider area for each pixel. So all you need to do is scan at a lower resolution. Basically, step down in resolution until the scan is almost sharp, then try sharpening to see if you can extract more detail. It probably looks great at 1200 dpi, maybe OK at 2400.