The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta Dimage Multi PRO Scanner

ReeRay

I've just purchased the above primarily for 120 slide scanning although I also have a large collection of 35mm slides (mainly Velvia and Provia). I never use negative film.
Whilst I'm awaiting delivery I wonder if anyone out there has this scanner and could maybe give me some tips as to getting the best out of it. I read that the Scanhancer improves the result and seems quite cheap.
I intend to scan via my Imac, 3.06 Gz, firewire connected etc and assume no problems in this area (fingers crossed). I've downloaded the latest Minolta software but wonder whether Vuescan or Silverfast may be better.
Anyway, if you have any tips or recommendations I would be most obliged.

p.s. just as a side thought, I must say what a superb forum this is. Without question the best on the web. I've only been a member for a few months but boy, have I learned a lot, and at 63 years of age having been around cameras since a mere boy that's some statement.

I have had one for years, and it does a very nice job. Firewire on my Mac is absolutely fine, and software works well with latest Mac OS (tho for how long is another question, so may need to go VueScan or SilverFast at some point in the future for dealing with the OS updates somewhere down the road). I scan 35mm and 6x7/6x9. The Minolta's light is softer than that of the Nikon 8000/9000, which I like. I've used the Scanhancer, and sometimes I like it and sometimes I think it causes loss of sharpness/detail, so I'm not sure where I stand on that. I primarily use SilverFast, which usually does a great job. but sometimes I find the Minolta software is better- at the moment, trial and error. VueScan has worked best for b&w positive scanning (sample attached), but lacks ICE capabilities. I scan MF in MF3200 setting on Minolta, as the MF4800 just interpolates the 3200 up to 4800 anyway. Discovered this by getting "panorama" strip excerpt previews in VueScan.
Can use Silverfast it8 transparencies to set profile; since I also have Monaco EZ Color which I got with my Epson 4990, I can use that to profile the printer quite well, and get the whole system in sync. Why not try the Minolta software and see how you like it; can always use demo of VueScan to take a look at that, which is generally a very capable program. Biggest "problem" with SilverFast is the price.
All-in-all, a very capable machine- I think you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

ReeRay

Thank you for that - I was beginning to think I was the only user!
Unfortunately ScanHancer seem to have exhausted all their supplies and I'll have to get by without them.
May I ask what resolution you scan 35mm slides at?
Appreciate your input.

Don Hutton

IMO, the best MF scanner bar none... I scan 35mm and Xpan at 4800DPI. BTW, it is possible to source Scanhancers in some sizes. Also, there's a guy making custom inserts for the MF holder to scan 35mm... Mine have not arrived yet, but user reports are very good so far. There's a very good yahoo group for the scanner - a good resource if you have any issues.

ReeRay

IMO, the best MF scanner bar none... I scan 35mm and Xpan at 4800DPI. BTW, it is possible to source Scanhancers in some sizes. Also, there's a guy making custom inserts for the MF holder to scan 35mm... Mine have not arrived yet, but user reports are very good so far. There's a very good yahoo group for the scanner - a good resource if you have any issues.
Hi Don
Do you have a contact address for the guy with the custom inserts?
Erik at ScanHancer seems to have a few bits of "old" stock and I'm awaiting hearing from him.
Thank You

fotografz

Great scanner for the money ... probably the best desktop MF scanner for the money.

I used one for years until securing an Imacon 949. I still follow the Yahoo group even years later. Real affection for that scanner amongst owners. If I recall correctly, there was a "soft light" conversion for it that was quite good ... not the Scanhancer, but an alternative light source. Current users probably can elaborate on that ... if it still exists today.

ReeRay

I've actually been in touch with Erik at Scanhancer and also Drazen at Xpander to enquire about their "add ons". It's all a bit mind blowing for a pensioner like myself to read about IR, Lek and foil/tape amendments.
Do you think I really need to acquire these "enhancements". I will actually be shooting a lot of film, both 35mm and MF slides and obviously I want to extract the absolute best from the scanner, but I'm no handyman and a little bit apprehensive "messing about" with modifications. I'd appreciate your advices. Thanks

fotografz

I've actually been in touch with Erik at Scanhancer and also Drazen at Xpander to enquire about their "add ons". It's all a bit mind blowing for a pensioner like myself to read about IR, Lek and foil/tape amendments.
Do you think I really need to acquire these "enhancements". I will actually be shooting a lot of film, both 35mm and MF slides and obviously I want to extract the absolute best from the scanner, but I'm no handyman and a little bit apprehensive "messing about" with modifications. I'd appreciate your advices. Thanks
Well, here's the story of why all these things have be done to modify scanners.

The "Holy Grail" for digital scanning/printing is to come as close as possible to analog enlarging and wet printing. Film enlargers are/were a highly developed method of making prints, and the enlargers were refined over a century of developments. One of the qualities of analog enlargers is the diffused light source which produce fine detail but a certain look and feel that is very hard to duplicate with digital scanning. A good book to get that helps clarify analog printing and the tools used to do it is Ansel Adam's "The Print". A good book to read even if you never use a real enlarger and print in a dark room.

So, some ingenious folks set about modifying the Minolta scanner to do exactly that ... diffuse the light source. Either by means of the ScanHancer and/or modifying the light source itself. Trust me ... they work and make a difference. :thumbup:

Maybe try the ScanHancer first, then move onto modifying the scanner itself.

An interesting side note: the reason I eventually moved onto a Imacon 949 wasn't just because it is soooooo fast, and can scan a 35mm film at 8000 ppi, it was more because it is the only Imacon/Hasselblad scanner with a special diffused light source. :thumbs: The difference between the Imacon 848 and the 949 was visible due to this light source when I tested the two scaners before purchase.

Best of luck with your scanner. Scanning is an art. Difficult to master at first, but don't give up, use patience and keep at it. Once mastered it is very rewarding and can produce wonderful results. Also, try to go to a museum or gallery and view true silver prints ... it's an eye-opener. I have many famous silver prints in my home, and they are the standard I use when scanning film and making prints ... a quest I am still undertaking, and may never achieve. ;)