The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favourite film + developer combinations

anyone

Hi all,

I do see a lot of activity in the 'fun with medium format FILM images' thread, and I wondered if you'd be willing to share your favourite film + developer combinations?

Mine are:
Delta 100 + DD-X
Tri-X + Amaloco AM74 (works also nicely for pushing)
Chinese lucky films + Amaloco AM74
Tri-X + Rodinal (not for pushing)

How about you? :thumbup:

pegelli

Not medium format, only 35 mm; but for me it's FP4+ and HP5+ both developed in Microphen. FP4+ pushed to iso 200, HP5+ to iso 800 or 1600.

Other film used is Delta 3200 and other developer ID11, but neither of these are as satisfying for me as the combinations mentioned above.

anyone

I see there are several people here using Pyro - is there a possibility to buy it 'ready-made' or are you mixing it yourself? I'm always a bit reluctant to mix by myself, that's why I didn't try it so far.

Oren Grad

I see there are several people here using Pyro - is there a possibility to buy it 'ready-made' or are you mixing it yourself? I'm always a bit reluctant to mix by myself, that's why I didn't try it so far.
If the issue is that you'd prefer not to mix from powders, the Photographers' Formulary offers some pyro variants in liquid concentrates as well.

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you're in the EU. International shipping from the Formulary may be a problem.

MartinN

Here comes an oddball, not a favourite.

I was not happy with the shelf life of super low contrast developers and the obsolete supply of technidol.

So I experimented and got usable results from Ortho(lith) film (super high resolution and extremely low grain) in very diluted Kodak HC-110. Not optimal but shelf life is good.

For me Shelf life is most important and small one-shot packaging another.
I also prefer small bottles instead of powder bags and eventually breathing some powders. I found Agfa fix in 120ml small bottles. Then I divide HC-110 also into small bottles. Sadly the 4x5 ortholith stock was discontinued from Macodirect. That was a dream combination : 4x5 and ortholith.