The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Imacon Flextight Question

anyone

Hi there,

I use an old Imacon Flextight Precision II for my quick scanning. I really love the system as it is very quick to mount and produces hazzle-free nice scans. At some point of time I will get a new model from the same series.

However, and here comes my question, the resolution of my scanner is limited to 1.800 DPI for 4x5". I read that it is possible to upgrade the Precision II to a Precision III via software update, and that should give me a little more resolution.

Does anyone know how to get this software update? Or is this an urban/web legend?

Thank you!

MartinN

Hasselblad X5 is still limited to 2000ppi. Not much of any improvement. Sad, but the only way to fully utilize sheet film is a real drumscanner.

anyone

I actually also own a drum scanner, however for the occassional scan, the flextight is great, and I was seeking for a possibility to upgrade my Precision II -> III. 1800 to 2000 ppi is not a huge improvement, but still, if the hardware is already there..

Rolo

Hi there,

However, and here comes my question, the resolution of my scanner is limited to 1.800 DPI for 4x5". I read that it is possible to upgrade the Precision II to a Precision III via software update, and that should give me a little more resolution.
Thank you!
Hi,
1800 DPI is the resolution for 4x5 on your scanner. However, using a 6x6 frame you can scan at 3200 dpi.

if you wish, scan half the 4x5 as a full strip of 3x 6x6 at 3200 for both sides of the image and stitch the two together with a massive gain in resolution.

Hope that's of interest to you. :ROTFL:

Gary

anyone

Hi,
1800 DPI is the resolution for 4x5 on your scanner. However, using a 6x6 frame you can scan at 3200 dpi.

if you wish, scan half the 4x5 as a full strip of 3x 6x6 at 3200 for both sides of the image and stitch the two together with a massive gain in resolution.

Hope that's of interest to you. :ROTFL:

Gary
Hi Gary,
interesting suggestion. However, when I see the physical side of it, I have a hard time to imagine how to do it. The film holder is just not wide enough to move the 4x5 frame without cutting it in pieces, which is not an option for me.

PS: fantastic pictures on your flickr stream, congratulations!

anyone

Back to topic, I'd be glad if someone would know something about this software update. No Imacon users here? :)