The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta Multi Pro problem!

ReeRay

Following on from a recent thread.
The Minolta MultiPro arrived and the sender had duly locked down the focusing with the approprate screws.
All worked fine for the first day using the Dimage Scan utility.
I then decided to evaluate the "latest" version of Vuescan. This software insisted on performing a calibration of the scanner and WOW - focusing on MF (which was the mode I was in at the time) is now completly out of synch! 35mm is perfect, MF is unusable! I've look at the preferences in Dimage scan and all is as should be. i.e. autofocus on, etc etc.
I've tried un-install and re-install on both Vuescan and Dimage without success. Basically I've a US$2,000 35mm scanner!
On the Minolta user group forum there's a very good thread suggesting that the focus pulley string can be thrown off due to mishandling. I set about stripping down the machine from the guidelines and found nothing untowards.
I'm at a loss!
Is it possible that software could throw out focusing alignment as above? And, if so, how do I redress this?
There's limited (if any) service support on these machines, especially in Thailand, and I'm resigned to trying to sort this out myself.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks

Stuart Richardson

I can't really help you here -- I am sorry, but I have not had the scanner for years. But I seem to remember that you can pick an autofocus point for all scans. Can you do this for your scan?

ReeRay

Tried all the autofocus and manual focus tools with no effect. It's almost as though either

a) the focusing transport is failing (stuck or the like)
b the lens is failing to adjust when focusing

Quite confusing

Stuart Richardson

Did you completely remove the optics locking screw and put it in the different position? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the sender did not go into the software and set the scanner in the locking position before he put in the screw -- you can't just lock it, it needs to have the optics put in the right place, then you can lock it.

But anyway, I really don't know what is wrong. You are probably going to have to open it up and see if there is any physical damage on the interior of the scanner. You may get lucky -- perhaps it is just some loose material or something stuck in the focusing mechanism.

ReeRay

Yep, the locking screw has been removed etc. As I said, everything was fine until I installed Vuescan!
Figure you're right on opening it all up though!
I'll let you know how I get on!
Thanks