The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vuescan software "support" - sucks!

ReeRay

I've been having immense problems with my newly acquired MP since installing and evaluating the latest Vuescan software which seemingly is responsible for throwing out my focusing.

I contacted Ed Hamrick and he suggested numerous actions for which I followed his instructions explicitly.

Not being totally computer articulate I was very deliberate in taking care and paying as much attention as possible. I would point out at this stage that I am a pensioner and on a learning curve, but I can read!

After a few unsuccessful attempts to remedy my problem this is Hamricks answer!

"I looked at the vuescan.log file again, and it doesn't contain the line:

**** Menu File | Default options

This means you didn't do this command.

Please stop wasting my time and don't send me any more e-mails. I'm
bored with sending you the same response, over and over.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick "

I was shocked. I've only been emailing the man for 2 days and have sent 6 emails only! OK, it ain't fixed but despite what his damned log says I DID GO THROUGH MENU FILE / DEFAULTS a dozen plus times without success.

Shocking service and one to be aware of.

Lars

That's inexcusable, you just don't write that to a paying customer, or anyone for that matter. I hope Ed reads this and gets a clue about customer relations.

Ben Rubinstein

Utterly shocking. These small software companies can be trouble. I paid for Pixel Creator Pro. Software came with the need for a hardware coded license. Took two weeks to get the code from the guy for my system. I bought a new computer, took a month that time. Upgraded the computer and reloaded the system, guy refused to answer emails even nevermind sending me a code. Ended up having to download a pirate copy which just sucks given that I paid full price for it and he knows it.

R

Ranger 9

I agree that Ed's response was excessively curt -- he's kind of a feisty guy -- but there aren't many software products for which the actual programmer will exchange emails with you and "suggest numerous actions" for solving your problem.

Usually what you get is Hari in Mumbai keeping you on hold for 40 minutes and then suggesting that you need to reinstall Windows (even though you use a Mac.) Or somebody telling you that your complimentary support period has expired, but you can start a "case number" for $49.95...

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I agree that Ed's response was excessively curt -- he's kind of a feisty guy -- but there aren't many software products for which the actual programmer will exchange emails with you and "suggest numerous actions" for solving your problem.
SuperDuper (backup and disk cloning software for the Macintosh) is one. Dave Nanian answers support emails personally, usually within a matter of hours and ensures that any problems you have are resolved. I've only had to request support a couple of times in four years but each time I received first-rate support from the actual programmer.

I have a copy of VueScan but haven't used it enough to need support. However, as well as the I Shoot Film Flickr group that wjlapier linked to, there's also a VueScan Users Flickr group. I'd be surprised, ReeRay, if you couldn't get your problem solved by posting a question there.

O

Oxide Blu

... there aren't many software products for which the actual programmer will exchange emails with you and "suggest numerous actions" for solving your problem.
He doesn't need an "actual programmer" -- he needs actual support, and it appears he ain't getting it from anyone at Vuescan, programmer or otherwise. ;)

white.elephant

I just searched for a possible thread like this just now because I thought it was me, but I can attest that things haven't gotten any better at the home office. I wish they had; I love the software.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's always interesting dealing with one man bands.

Btw, I can recommend the Vuescan Bible by Sascha Steinhoff if you're looking for some third party coverage and assistance. It covers all the various modes of vuescan operation and I found it very useful.

white.elephant

Graham, thank you. As he has refused to give me support because I am "wasting his time" I am going to need some help. I run a software company and I hope that my company never communicates to customers that they waste our time.

JaapD

I agree with everything that’s been said here. But maybe the forum members are able to help you in this. For me Vuescan works flawlessly and I’m one of Ed’s paying happy customers.

….soooo what if you told us a bit more about your scanner-PC setup and attach the logfile? And can you tell us a bit about what you see on the autofocus representation, where there is an ‘X’ in the picture showing the position of where the focus point is defined? Is it positioned about on 1/3 or on the center of the image? Is the film possibly too curved for proper focusing?

Off topic: I’m still very pi**ed at Nikon for selling me a great 9000 scanner but not supporting their scanner software for 64 bit PC platforms (I am aware of the hack-solution). This sucks big time! Here Vuescan comes in with a great solution. Just saying….

apb

I've been having immense problems with my newly acquired MP since installing and evaluating the latest Vuescan software which seemingly is responsible for throwing out my focusing.

I contacted Ed Hamrick and he suggested numerous actions for which I followed his instructions explicitly.

Not being totally computer articulate I was very deliberate in taking care and paying as much attention as possible. I would point out at this stage that I am a pensioner and on a learning curve, but I can read!

After a few unsuccessful attempts to remedy my problem this is Hamricks answer!

"I looked at the vuescan.log file again, and it doesn't contain the line:

**** Menu File | Default options

This means you didn't do this command.

Please stop wasting my time and don't send me any more e-mails. I'm
bored with sending you the same response, over and over.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick "

I was shocked. I've only been emailing the man for 2 days and have sent 6 emails only! OK, it ain't fixed but despite what his damned log says I DID GO THROUGH MENU FILE / DEFAULTS a dozen plus times without success.

Shocking service and one to be aware of.
That is par for the course with Hamrick. Sometimes, he is very friendly. Other times, he is unbelievably rude. It's unrelated to what you have said to him. My guess is he has issues. Probably because he responds to everyone, he is sick of it.