The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How good is a Nikon 9000 ED?

Lars

Wetmounting has a few advantages:
- Completely flat film means it's possible to get the sharpest possible scan
- No Newton rings - with the 869G you have to examine each and every scan, and if there is a clear blue sky in an E6 frame for example then it can be very frustrating. Fixing Newton rings in post-processing is not realistic.
- Slightly higher contrast - film surface does not have mirror finish so it diffuses light very slightly, leading to loss of contrast around edges between high and low density. With wetmounting the surface is clear and glossy.
- Some people say there is an advantage WRT grain structure, perhaps it's true with b/w film but I don't see much of a difference with E6.

All in all, quality could be said to be 10-20% better by some subjective scale. Most of all it's a time saver - you know scans will be sharp and good so no need to rescan.

woodyspedden

Actually, for the money, the V700 must surely be the best in it's class.

Just prior to the Multi Pro dying on me, I was comparing slides scanned from both scanners and although the 35mm comparison really exposed the V700 weakness, the 120 stuff was getting remarkably close from a sharpness point of view. But sharpness isn't everything. The MP held highlights and found shadow detail that the V700 couldn't dream of. The superior Dmax of the MP really shone through. Wonderful smooth tones, great detail.

In fact, I've just bought another one!

I know, no support etc etc, but bought from a member of the MP forum and complete with spare lamp (that's what swung the deal).

Investigating the Nikon 9000 over here established NO service centres, twice the "normal" price (i.e US$ 5,000) and "Oh, we don't supply them anymore but we can get one for you" !!

And I've had enough of Ebay purchases!

Fingers crossed.
I have heard some glowing reports about the Kodak (Creo) iSmart flatbed scanners. However I don't know if they are still in the Kodak catalog. B&H doesn't list them any longer so you may have to look around to see.

Woody

Lars

I have heard some glowing reports about the Kodak (Creo) iSmart flatbed scanners. However I don't know if they are still in the Kodak catalog. B&H doesn't list them any longer so you may have to look around to see.

Woody
Creos appear second hand every now and then - when was in the market for a high-end scanner in 2006 the price level was $5000 and up. It's really a big machine, a Supreme weighs in at some 70 kgs. Different league than a Nikon, both in price, capabilities, and size.