The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Doing a Platinum Print in a Digital Environment

Ben Rubinstein

I think the intelligent thing to do would be to keep the pt/pd option open only for images that suit it rather than some of the darker low key images?

mjm6

Well, I think that you can certainly work with low-key images in pt/pd and especially in combination gum and pt/pd images. You just have to understand the limitations of the process, and then work to craft a negative that will get what you want out of the process.

This is much easier if you use digital negatives, as the contrast can be explicitly adjusted to give you more of what you want, easier than is possible in traditional negatives.

Included are two in-camera combination gum pt/pd images, both somewhat low-key in nature, but these two images could have been more successful if I were using digital negatives from the start.

---Michael

mediumcool

Recently found mention of the work HP has done on a profile for their Z3200 large-format printer to make transnegatives for platinum and palladium printing.

Looks like a wonderful hybrid! Elliott Erwitt likes the process too.