The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Summarits are here!!!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the big brown truck just rolled up to my door and a nice small box from leica NJ. Just love when you see a box from leica you know there is a fun toy to play with inside. Well it looks like i have them until the 27th of Novemeber which gives me some time to play and test. I did get the 35,50 and 90 . There is no 75mm in the box , must be short on supply on them. There brand new fresh from the factory. They sent my also two 39 IR filters for the 35 and 50 . The 90 takes 46mm . Did i say these are small yet. Wow they really are tiny. You could fit the 35 or 50 in your front pocket easily. Now one thing right away I noticed they have slip on caps. Now I love slip on caps but here is the cool part when you put the IR filter on it still fits like normal. they made the caps deep enough to handle the filters on. Someone was thinking here and a welcome idea. There all very smooth to focus and Leica built no question there . Top notch construction and feel. Obviously focus tabs on the 35 and 50 also and there all coded ready to go shoot. Funny thing is my normally sunny skies has turned rainy and gloomy . Bummer.

That's okay i have a evening job tonight and a golf tourney in the morning so i may get to use them before starting my testing. Plus i have all next week free and going to Flagstaff for T-day so they will get a lot of play time. Did i mention already there small. And you know what the Velvet pouches are really nice and can easily be used and put in a bigger bag to protect them.

I wish the 75 was here.

Terry

Have fun with them. Most curious to see how the 35 compares to your favorite 35 (not saying the name since the price keeps going up each time it is mentioned :rolleyes:

The 75mm takes a 46mm filter also and its about the same size as a 50 Lux (only slightly longer). I have also grown to like the push-on caps. At first I didn't like them because they are larger and not as comfortable in my pocket.

Guy Mancuso

plan on doing that Robert tomorrow. From iphone

Shooting event. They eat and i sit out by choice.LOL

S

Sean_Reid

I'm doing the res. tests on the 75s right now (Summarit plus comparison lenses) and I can say that the 75 Summarit shows *excellent* resolution across the field wide open. It's really impressive, actually - a thing of beauty. I haven't looked at the results from the other two lenses yet but my jaw dropped on on the F/2.5 results on the new res. test set up.

Also the slightly light focus action I noticed in the preproduction lenses is gone. These are all spot on.

Guy, I've had to create hoods to improvise. What are you using?

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

I do have some screw in metal hoods i could use. I might just have to use a black gobo. Sean i am going to run a bokeh test first than try a few other things like res test from the corners and center , than just shoot the darn things in real world and have the second body shoot the equivalent lenses and compare them. The 90 2.5 just from a couple casual shots wide open looks promising. This one has my interest the 75 and 90 for when i travel. the 90 is from lens cap to rear cap 3.5 inches long folks. That is pretty tiny for a 90. need to try and find a 75mm, really wanted to see how it faired against my screaming 75 lux

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Guy,

I just happened to start with the 75s because its the only focal length where I have the full comparison lens set here (75 Summarit, 75 Cron, 75 Heliar). The Zeiss 35 and 50 won't be here until Saturday morning and the Zeiss 85 has a quirk we're still sorting out.

Curious to see your results. You know my routine: res, CA, focus shift, cyan drift/vignetting, OOF and then just various real world use.

If you've got 39 and 46 screw-in hoods (and I think you do) those would be great. I've adapted a couple of CV hoods.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

BTW, Guy, you're going to want a nice Scotch or something as a reward for your patience after you do all that minute focus bracketing for the res tests and then sort through twenty some odd series at each focus distance to find which wide open shot has the best focus. It takes the patience of a saint.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Exactly thought about that last night with focus. i will check each wide open one and fine tune it before stopping down, hey isn't this your job. LOL

Ah it should be fun, how often do you get to play with a whole series of lenses.

BTW did you notice they are small. LOL

Guy Mancuso

So no Summarit vs Lux in the 75's. Hmmm . Maybe I have to do that one later. That would be the missing test . I think even the dealers are short handed on the 75mm, any dealer that wants to lend me a 75. Maybe i will finsih the three and see if a 75 is around. i know a few folks that would like to see this comparision also

robsteve

Subscriber
BTW, Guy, you're going to want a nice Scotch or something as a reward for your patience after you do all that minute focus bracketing for the res tests and then sort through twenty some odd series at each focus distance to find which wide open shot has the best focus. It takes the patience of a saint.

Cheers,

Sean
That is why I try to test any new lens I have by shooting the lake behind the house at the infinity stop of the lens. There are trees across the frame at infinity and they give a good idea as to whether a lens is sharp. This tends to rule out focus/rangefinder errrors. I will also do a few focus brackets at infinity just in case.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I will have a 50 today or tomorrow,
Nothing to compare it with.
I am accepting donations :)

-bob

S

Sean_Reid

That is why I try to test any new lens I have by shooting the lake behind the house at the infinity stop of the lens. There are trees across the frame at infinity and they give a good idea as to whether a lens is sharp. This tends to rule out focus/rangefinder errrors. I will also do a few focus brackets at infinity just in case.
Hi Rob,

It's important. What I do is to focus (using the magnifier) and shoot the aperture series. Then a make about 5-10 very slight variations ahead of that distance and 5-10 behind. The changes are so slight that they, initially, don't even move the RF window. Then I sort through them all to find the highest res. set (based on results wide open). Its a real PITA but its the only way to be sure.

Cheers,

Sean