The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

trade in 21-35mm zoom for 19mm+28mm?

EH21

Hi,
I'm considering trading in my 21-35mm zoom in exchange for the above mentioned primes. I think the zoom is really decent in terms of image quality, but I have trouble manually focusing with it. Wondering if I will do better with the primes? I had the 24mm and had no trouble.... Heard the 19mm and the 28mm latest versions were really super. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is?

Thanks,
Eric

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Eric i copied this for you and put it in the Buy and Sell also. Figured you get more viewing there too. Guy

Besides it was a good test of my admin skills. LOL

Oh and welcome to the forum , enjoy yourself

dfarkas

Workshop Member
The 21-35 is a good all-arounder, but both the 19 and the 28 Elmarits are stellar performers. Both have minimal distortion, are super sharp, small and easy to focus. You can't go wrong with this trade. Good luck.

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 19mm is one of the best wides Leica has in the R and the 28mm is certainly up there with the best. The primes will get you better wide open performance overall. But a lot of folks love the 21-35 to limit the number of lenses in there bag and the zoom is a very nice performer.

robsteve

Subscriber
Eric:

I have all three lenses. I use the 21-35mm when I don't need the ultimate quality at the wide end. The 19mm is still best there. In regards to the 28mm, the 21-35mm is at its peak performance some where around 31mm, so it is still performing very well at 28mm. The 28mm Elmarit-R is still a slightly better performer, but you would be hard pressed to see the difference.

In regards to focus, I have problems focusing the 21-35mm too.

Up close the 19mm just pops into focus. For critical focus at mid distances (just before the infinity stop of the lens) it can be difficult to get razor sharp images because what you are focusing on is so small in the finder.

The 28mm Elmarit-R is very easy to focus at all ranges. It has so much contrast that it is very obvious when it is in focus.

If you don't have a trade arranged, I have a 28mm I might sell. I now tend to use the DMR for scenics, where the 21-35mm is fine. For the people and family stuff, I now use my M8 where I was using the DMR and 28mm. I have settled on using the M8 for fast and or wide lenses and the DMR for the longer glass and scenics on a tripod where lens speed is not important.

Robert

gogopix

Subscriber
Hi,
I'm considering trading in my 21-35mm zoom in exchange for the above mentioned primes. I think the zoom is really decent in terms of image quality, but I have trouble manually focusing with it. Wondering if I will do better with the primes? I had the 24mm and had no trouble.... Heard the 19mm and the 28mm latest versions were really super. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is?

Thanks,
Eric
do it
I have both and they are most used lenses (esp 28)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have never used the 21-35 zoom but have both the 19 and the 28. As mentioned above, both are stellar performers and you will not be unhappy with the results. As far as solving your focus difficulties, I agree with Rob that sometimes the 19 can be difficult because at midrange and far distances I find the subject seems to get lost in the viewfinder. When it is on the results are just amazing.

No difficulty at all with the 28 and as an added bonus you will love the sliding hood!

EH21

Thanks for all your replies! Forgot to ask about the 24mm elmarit?

Robert, I sent you an e-mail re: your 28mm.

Eric