The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D300 and the 180mm 2.8

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well i only have ones lens at the moment but it is a lot of fun shooting it. These are all at ISO 400 and most at F4.5. Shot in Lake Havasu,my nephews.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Those are great! I'm wicked jealous... mostly because it's raining ice and snow here and those water scenes look like a dream. Plus you have that cool new D300. You have to love that autofocus.

harmsr

Workshop Member
ISO 400 & 1/4000 of a second, with great autofocus.

Nikon got it right, huh?:thumbs:

I'm loving these new Nikons. (Just please don't tell my M8 as it will get jealous.)

Ray

LCT

Great pics folks. How would you rate the D300 compared to D2H and D70 as far as sharpness if you know the latters?

vieri

Great pics folks. How would you rate the D300 compared to D2H and D70 as far as sharpness if you know the latters?
Hey LCT, I never used a D2h but the D70 has been my first Nikon digital; its files were very sharp for 6 MP, probably due to the weak AA filter, but I think the D300's files are in a different league, not just as far as sharpness goes but as far as their resistance to post-processing and latitude. Still, considering that a few generations of sensors has gone by since the D70 and considering the double MP count, I'd say the D70 holds its own pretty well. Hope this helps! :D

LCT

Hey LCT, I never used a D2h but the D70 has been my first Nikon digital; its files were very sharp for 6 MP, probably due to the weak AA filter, but I think the D300's files are in a different league, not just as far as sharpness goes but as far as their resistance to post-processing and latitude...
Yes the D70 is very sharp (100% crop with a Nikkor 50/1.8 below) and i wonder if i'll retrieve the same kind of sharpness with the D300.
Does it use a 'weak' AA filter as well?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
LCT, you will get the same or better. I have used the D70, D80, D200, and D50 too, as well as the D3 and D300 now, and the latter two cameras are the best so far, including sharpness. I cannot advise on the strength of the AA filter, and I use 100 as the 'capture' sharpen value in ACR (and the detail and masking controls as well) and I am completely happy with the images out of both cameras. The files take sharpening extremely well and the results definitely do not look 'too' sharp, and print wonderfully. Usually I do no content sharpening or output sharpening these days, either.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
LCT, I should have mentioned that I miss the D70—simply for the flash sync speed and the smaller file sizes. They are so cheap these days that you can hardly afford *not* to.

Which processor do you use? I commented on this in another thread, that ACR 4.x is, overall, the best processor I have ever used (including C1 Pro). The improvements to ACR that came with CS#, and subsequently added to in the revision, are revolutionary for me rather than evolutionary; the difference is that much. Yet I have not seen much on this anywhere. Cheers, KL

LCT

Haven't tried ACR 4 so far just 3.3.1 and i use Capture One and Silkypix as well but funnily enough my favourite is still Nikon Editor for the D70.