The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D & ZF 35/2 After Dark

G

Gary Knapp

Hi Folks;

My first post in this excellent forum. I shoot trains in motion after dark with flash units and Pocket Wizard remotes providing the lighting. I bought the ZF 35/2 to try out after enjoying Canons' 35L/1.4 for many years. Here is the first shot with the new combo, taken in Westport, NY. I thought the ZF's focusing had a very different feel to it, not a negative by any means. My initial reaction was; I don't think my Canon 35L can do this! Flash units on the pavement and walkway in rear erased in photoshop. Enjoy!

Gary

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Great ! How many flash units did you have in play here ?
Looking forward to see more :)

RMR

Great shot! What adapter did you use out of curiosity? I'm looking at the Nikon lenses as well for my 1DsIII. Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Welcome Gary and nice shot indeed. The Zeiss 35 F2 has a nice reputation from what I have been told from the Nikon shooters.

G

Gary Knapp

Thanks Folks and Guy;

Bondo; I used eleven remote flashes here. 1/200th at f2.8.

RMR; I used Stephen Gandy's excellent adapter from his Cameraquest site.

The ZF 35/2 outperforms my 35L in this setting! And I thought I was in heaven using the 35L at night! This lens focuses very differently than Olympus and Leica wides I have used on the 5D in the past. Diglloyd's exhaustive ZF Lens Review was most helpful in enjoying this lens. I can trade the benefits of auto-focus for higher I.Q. in this case.

Gary

robmac

Any light modifiers used on the flashes? Eleven flash heads - that's a hell of a lot of PWs..!

G

Gary Knapp

Thanks very much Jack! You and Guy have something special going here with this site!

robmac; No light modifiers used, I have enough to keep me occupied with positioning flash units! LOL! You're correct, that's a hell of a lot of PW's. Lately I have been using the light sensor window on the six Nikon flash units in the group to fire them in synch with the shutter without using a PW on each one.

Gary