The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Nikon D2X

David K

Workshop Member
No longer need this puppy now that I have the D3. I'd like to net $1600 on this body. Condition is excellent, just upgraded to the latest firmware. It may not be a D3, but at 1/3rd the price it's a heck of a camera.

David K

Workshop Member
Well it's either sell this stuff piecemeal or open up a Florida branch for KEH :) BTW, I'll consider trading this body for some good Nikon glass. Wouldn't mind having the 85 1.4 or something longer than my 70-200 VR.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the Nikon 1.4 David and it is nice , wonder though if i would prefer the Zeiss. Look at the Nikon 85mm i just started . If you want to buy me a new zeiss 85 . I will give you my Nikon and 150 bucks. :ROTFL:

woodyspedden

Well it's either sell this stuff piecemeal or open up a Florida branch for KEH :) BTW, I'll consider trading this body for some good Nikon glass. Wouldn't mind having the 85 1.4 or something longer than my 70-200 VR.
David

Trust me on this one. You want a 300 2.8 and the 1.4 TC. This gives you a 420mm on the D3 or a 615 on the D300. The image quality from this lens is remarkable and seems unchanged by the 1.4 TC other than the loss of a stop. The longer lenses are just so long and heavy that without a Wimberly or other alternative you just can't use them very successfully. I have used the 300 4.0 for a number of years and it is a very good lens, particularly for the price (about $1K.) But the 2.8 is just in a league of its own so i just bought a new one (could not find a used one at a price that made me want to go that route!)

I am really re-committing to the Nikon system so I can get back to image making and away from GAS! Hopefully this will lead to more sellable images and frankly more fun. Going from one system to the other is just not for me. So I will be selling all of my M gear, keeping my R lenses in anticipation of the R10 and then making a decision from there.

Anyway............JMHO. Hopefully you are still doing the kind of work we have all come to expect from you.

All the best

Woody

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
David

Trust me on this one. You want a 300 2.8 and the 1.4 TC. This gives you a 420mm on the D3 or a 615 on the D300. The image quality from this lens is remarkable and seems unchanged by the 1.4 TC other than the loss of a stop. The longer lenses are just so long and heavy that without a Wimberly or other alternative you just can't use them very successfully. I have used the 300 4.0 for a number of years and it is a very good lens, particularly for the price (about $1K.) But the 2.8 is just in a league of its own so i just bought a new one (could not find a used one at a price that made me want to go that route!)

I am really re-committing to the Nikon system so I can get back to image making and away from GAS! Hopefully this will lead to more sellable images and frankly more fun. Going from one system to the other is just not for me. So I will be selling all of my M gear, keeping my R lenses in anticipation of the R10 and then making a decision from there.

Anyway............JMHO. Hopefully you are still doing the kind of work we have all come to expect from you.

All the best

Woody
Woody Did you consider the 200-400 VR. The image quality is outstanding ...similar to the 70-200/2.8 . With the 1.4ext I can t see where I am loosing much of anything with either the 70-200 or the 200-400. The weight difference looked insignificant 6lbs verse 7lbs...they are both loads . I only use the 200-400 on the 5 series GITZO. So when I looked at it ..it seemed that the difference was really maximum aperature verse reach. I guess it depends as always on what you shoot. I have heard endorsements for both alternatives. Roger

D

dik6254

I have the Nikon 1.4 David and it is nice , wonder though if i would prefer the Zeiss. Look at the Nikon 85mm i just started . If you want to buy me a new zeiss 85 . I will give you my Nikon and 150 bucks. :ROTFL:
Sorry Guy,

I am a confirmed Canon user. When you have the very best, Why switch. Never owned a NIKON and never will.

David

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
You must be a mind reader I do want the 300 2.8 and the 1.4 TC... but am not prepared to shell out the bucks yet. Also want to see how good (and how big) Roger's 200-400 VR is.
David,
Glad you're enjoying your Canon gear. Lots of us here, including me, were long time Canon users. Now I'm a Nikon shooter because I like their latest offerings, both bodies and lenses. Each system has it's strengths and Nikon's suit me better at the moment. YMMV.