The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DOF and a 12mm lens

Terry

I was playing around in my backyard with the 12mm lens. I hadn't ever used it in the close focus position and I was very close to this cactus. Well the DOF is not unlimited! No major purpose to this thread I just thought it was interesting for others who may play around with this lens.

Here is one shot (cropped a bit of fence off the bottom) and two crops to see what is sharp and what isn't.

View attachment 2399

View attachment 2400

View attachment 2401

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It may not all be in focus, but it is still a cool shot! And I'm too lazy to pull the image into CS to read the exif --- what aperture did you use???

Terry

It may not all be in focus, but it is still a cool shot! And I'm too lazy to pull the image into CS to read the exif --- what aperture did you use???
:wtf: EXIF data on an M8??? Your brain has moved to MF land :D:D:D I think I was on F8 or just a click below

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
You might try bringing down the Lightroom sharpening radius to 0.5.
Not just for this image, but in general.
;-)
-bob

Terry

You might try bringing down the Lightroom sharpening radius to 0.5.
Not just for this image, but in general.
;-)
-bob
OK, I've left the sharpening on the default (1.0) and don't generally change it. This shot wasn't touched (except for removing one dust spot and the crop everything at LR default). What are you seeing in the sharpening?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Terry you may have been better at F11. Your trying to carry about 2 ft to infinity and f11 would have carried you better and also i would have focused about 5ft out. The foreground would have pulled in focus. Just stretched F8 too far

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:wtf: EXIF data on an M8??? Your brain has moved to MF land :D:D:D I think I was on F8 or just a click below
I could have calculated it using the ISO and shutter speed...

And Bob is right --- drop the radius to 0.5 and increase the amount to 30.

:D,

robertwright

Hey-
been lurking since coming over from the L-camera forum, but wanted to add-

got this lens for some interior architectural work and had to figure it out so I set up a test in my apartment looking out a window and ran all the significant focus marks on the lens barrel and then checked them against 100% on screen and this is what I got for f11 measured with a tape measure

setting on lens------near limit-----far limit
1ft ----------------------all------------.5m
1.5ft---------------------all------------1.0m
.5m----------------------all------------1.0m
2.0ft---------------------all------------1.0m
1.0m--------------------.5m-----------11ft or 3.3m
5ft------------------------1m---------- 15ft
2.0m---------------------1m-----------16ft or 4.9m
infinity------------------ 2m, 6.5ft-----infinity

in practice I find the most useful marking is therefore the 2.0m mark, I wish it had a click stop. Use this when you want a good balance between near and far. If you want to pull focus closer and soften infinity a tad use the 1 meter mark, and if you really want infinity sharp, set it to infinity. Surprisingly, at 2m, infinity will not be sharp, even at f11. It is pretty close tho.

Of course in reproduction in a magazine at full page you have some leeway since this is all evaluated at 100% pixel peeping range.

hth! its a great lens. Incidentally I use it unfiltered, lens detection on, no UV-IR and do any fixing in corner fix. Much easier that way imo.

Terry

And Bob is right --- drop the radius to 0.5 and increase the amount to 30.

:D,
I was just being a smartass as usual.
On the sharpening are you saying that because you see something special....the only thing that I can see is in the OOF crop along the needle edges it is starting to look a weird but curious as to what is jumping out at you to notice the sharpening.

Terry

Terry you may have been better at F11. Your trying to carry about 2 ft to infinity and f11 would have carried you better and also i would have focused about 5ft out. The foreground would have pulled in focus. Just stretched F8 too far
I was really just trying to play with it and see what would happen on that first focus click stop since I hadn't ever used it close focused before. All I did was hold the camera slightly below waist level and point up at less than 45 degrees. All framing done after the fact in the LCD and even there I could see the DOF issue but kept it because I wanted to see full size what it gave me.

I was a bit scenically challenged this weekend. I had my mother out in AZ with me and I never could quite see any enthusiasm on her face when I mentioned for the 10th time a sunrise visit to Picacho Peak. Mothers being mothers also wasn't keen on me going solo that early. Friday night was the most amazing moonrise where it was just getting dark around 7:10 and there were still details to be seen in the mountains with an orange essentially full moon rising but very low in the sky in a mountain gap. My mouth was hanging open it was so gorgeous. Scouted position to get it the next night and we were still waiting a half hour later with no moon and a lot of darkness. Bummer.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We just know where to look :)

For example, you also used a 5100 degree color temp with +21 tint, and frankly this image might have a bit better greens at 5500 +10...

:ROTFL:

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
This impresses me (I'm guessing something w/ sunny sixteen for the equation but I could be way off base because it is not something I could do).
:salute:

For example, you also used a 5100 degree color temp with +21 tint, and frankly this image might have a bit better greens at 5500 +10...
And this fills me w/ shock and awe.
:eek: :wtf: :eek: ... ... wat?

:ROTFL: (ps. the text on the wat image isn't exactly correct, but the image itself conveys the meaning nicely.)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris,
Just for fun, try to shoot for a week with NO light meter. Manual everything, just guess the exposure.
It is not that hard. and Yes Sunny 16 is a part of it, but how many stops off for shade or for cloud?
Just a little harder than manual focus, but someday you just might need it.
-bob

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Hey Chris,
Just for fun, try to shoot for a week with NO light meter. Manual everything, just guess the exposure.
It is not that hard. and Yes Sunny 16 is a part of it, but how many stops off for shade or for cloud?
Just a little harder than manual focus, but someday you just might need it.
-bob
That's easy. I don't use a light meter... (okay I don't use a dedicated external light meter... but if it's in the camera, it doesn't count! :D

Wait. What? Learn something? :shocked:
(in best British accent) Run Away! Run Away!

No really, Thanks Bob.
I'm going to take your advice. Besides, after I blow it, I can review immediately and figure out which way I need to go :rolleyes:
From now until the workshop, Manual only, and no using camera metering. :D
You know this might kick me of another bad habit. Not ever deleting pictures (including the ones that are complete garbage :LOL: :ROTFL:)