The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Hasselblad CFV Digital Back + 205TCC

PSon

For sale is my hardly used (currently 2K shutter counts) Hasselblad CFV 16meg digital back along with the modified Hasselblad 205 TCC.

1. Hasselblad CFV Digital Back
Condition: mint
Price: $7500.00

2. Hasselblad 205 TCC modified for the digital back
Condition: mint
Price: $4000

PSon

I will include the 80 mm FE lens if both item are bought. The condition of the 80 mm FE lens is mint.

PSon

Peter,
Sorry for the quick poor photos here. Will post better image at a latter time. Here are some photos. Also the 2 batteries are included and will last you a long time.
Son

PSon

The 45 degree Prism is also included; this is a really great deal. The 110 FE is sold to Jack and not part of the package. The 80 mm FE which is not in the picture is part of the package only if the whole kit is bought by the same person. The condition of the 80 mm FE is also mint like new.

Last edited:

PSon

here is the package with the Zeiss Planar T* 80 mm FE lens in mint like new condition.

PeterA

Son,

thank you posting the shots - looks good.

A couple of questions please:

1. Will this back work on any 500 series camera ( eg 500C ) ; and
2. Will this camera take a CFE lens like the latest 120 Makro Planar

I believe the crop factor is 1.6X?

Pete

Last edited:

robmac

Damn, that looks sweet. ;>

You may all know this already, but this site is a sweet Hassy resource re: some of your questions.

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index.html

The 203FE is based on the 205TCC platform which appears compatible with all Hassy bayonet-mount lenses -FE or otherwise. It also appears as if the 205TCC and FE lens line were introduced at the same time.

I would assume, that re: a CFE it's a simple matter of cocking the shutter and locking it open in F - same as you would if used on a Canon with an adapter. So, no pc cable needed as it is a focal plane shutter body.

Son (or Peter) - your thoughts on the 80/2.8?

PSon

Son, do F lenses work on the 205 or do they have to be FE?
Hi Jack,
All of the Hasselblad lens will work on the 205 (excluding the rare 1000 series lens which is very old and nothing to write home). The FE allow you to have communication with the lens. For example, the 205 TCC has a spot Zone metering which is the best accurate reflective meter I have ever used. I zone into the green grass for 18% grey, the white dress of the bride and push the blue arrow button up to zone 7, the black suit on the groom and zone it down to 4 and shoot away. I eventually learned how to see colors in black and white and the shade of grey. With such knowledge, I am able to shoot very well. The FE lens allow you to use these metering function effectively on the 202 FA, 203 FE and 205 TCC/FCC.

Son

PSon

Son,

thank you posting the shots - looks good.

A couple of questions please:

1. Will this back work on any 500 series camera ( eg 500C ) ; and
2. Will this camera take a CFE lens like the latest 120 Makro Planar

I believe the crop factor is 1.6X?

Pete
Pete,
1. The digital back CFV will work on your 500 series cameras and the 555 ELD, 553 ELX and etc via the cable which is in the photos. However, when you have the 205TCC I do not know why you want to use the 500 series anymore since on the 205 TCC you can use the C, CF, CFi and CFE lens effectively like the 500 series camera with flash sync up to 1/500 s via turning the shutter ring to C (stands for Leaf Shutter). When you use Focal Plane Shutter on the C, CF, and CFi lens via turning switching the lens shutter to F (F stands for focal plane shutter which is built inside the camera). Notice the CFE lens can be used in both shutter without the hassel of putting the lens on F. Thus, your CFE 120 Makro lens is extremely unique. One day I will release the work that I have proven to reduce flare especially on the 120 makro lens.

2. The answer is in 1 but brief yes no problem (see answer 1 for details information)

3. Crop Factor 1.5x
-Son

Last edited:

PSon

Is a cable to the lens X socket needed?
No cable to the lens X socket is needed when using a digitally modified 205 TCC with the F and FE lens. This camera is modified for digital already. The only time that the cable to the lens X socket is needed when you use: 1) the C shutter on the lens (C, CF, CFi, and CFE) and 2) using the digital back on the 500 series cameras.

Son

PSon

Damn, that looks sweet. ;>

Son (or Peter) - your thoughts on the 80/2.8?
Rob,
When I used to do wedding in the 90s I love the 80 mm a lot for 4 group full body portrait in square format. I also like it for portrait it is a very sharp lens as well. However, the sweet thing about the FE lens presented here is that it can focus very close like no other 80 mm lens including the Rollei 80 mm lens. The other 80 mm that focus very close is the Contax 645 80 mm lens.

In film day, the 80 mm gives me a very natural perspective and whenever there is enough room and or flash power to move back to capture the group portrait I pick the 80 mm lens. If the space is too tight or my flash power is not enough to match the sun, I pull out the 50 mm lens.

-Son

Arjuna

Not to contradict Son, but my understanding is that the big feature of the CFV back is that it does not need a cable when used on a 500 series body. Also, to answer one of Jack's questions, I believe that on a 200 series body, you can use an F series lens, but the metering is stop-down, whereas with an FE series lens, you can meter at full aperture, and the lens will auto stop down - certainly that is how my 203 FE and 80 CFE set to F mode work.

PSon

Not to contradict Son, but my understanding is that the big feature of the CFV back is that it does not need a cable when used on a 500 series body. Also, to answer one of Jack's questions, I believe that on a 200 series body, you can use an F series lens, but the metering is stop-down, whereas with an FE series lens, you can meter at full aperture, and the lens will auto stop down - certainly that is how my 203 FE and 80 CFE set to F mode work.
Arjuna,
Actually the question is directed at the regular 503 CW or any other 500 series camera. The 503CWD do not need the cable and thus if the person already have the digital purchased with the limited edition 503CWD then they would not asked the question.
Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

To follow up the last post in which Arjuna contributed which I forgot to mentioned about the 503 CWD camera:

I called Hasselblad USA to ask if the regular 503 CW can be modified to digital so no cable is necessary but the answer is NO.

Son

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I eventually learned how to see colors in black and white and the shade of grey. With such knowledge, I am able to shoot very well.
Interesting comment --- I learned to this very same thing when shooting chromes on large format using a hand-held spot meter. It's amazing how close green grass or blue sky is to zone V, while dark evergreens are IV, and yellow leaves in the Fall are VI...

:thumbs:

atanabe

To follow up the last post in which Arjuna contributed which I forgot to mentioned about the 503 CWD camera:

I called Hasselblad USA to ask if the regular 503 CW can be modified to digital so no cable is necessary but the answer is NO.

Son
Son,
The CFV back can be used on all 500 series Hasselblads including the SWC without cables. By setting the camera type on the CFV to 500, SWC or 555ELD the capture delay is then applied. The CFV can also be used with non modified 200 series with the sync cable and leaf shutter lenses via the sync cable in "C" mode. There are also settings for pinhole camera and flash sync. The trigger arm from the camera body that changes the mode from ready to exposed on the film back triggers the CFV. By modifying your 200 TCC, an electronic connection tells the CFV when to fire.
I have used the CFV with my 2000 FCW my 110 lens in flash sync mode (on slow shutter speeds). This is the great thing about the CFV back versus Phase One and Leaf backs as there is no need for cables!

Good luck on your sale!

Al

PSon

Son,
The CFV back can be used on all 500 series Hasselblads including the SWC without cables. By setting the camera type on the CFV to 500, SWC or 555ELD the capture delay is then applied. The CFV can also be used with non modified 200 series with the sync cable and leaf shutter lenses via the sync cable in "C" mode. There are also settings for pinhole camera and flash sync. The trigger arm from the camera body that changes the mode from ready to exposed on the film back triggers the CFV. By modifying your 200 TCC, an electronic connection tells the CFV when to fire.
I have used the CFV with my 2000 FCW my 110 lens in flash sync mode (on slow shutter speeds). This is the great thing about the CFV back versus Phase One and Leaf backs as there is no need for cables!

Good luck on your sale!

Al
hi Al,
Thanks for the correction and the contribution. Therefore, this CFV back is even more powerful than I thought.
Best Regards,
-Son