The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Daily Landscape Practice

S

Shelby Lewis

Went out for another stroll this evening ... about an hour, encompassing the 30 minutes before and after sunset. I live in a (very!) modest neighborhood, but our town has a series of paved greenway paths that follow a local river. One of the trailheads is a block from my house, offering a great place to shoot informal landscape stuff.

I have to admit... after being not-so-enamored with the 5dii as a people/event camera, I'm really enjoying the results I get with it as a landscape camera. I see some ZE lenses in my future. :D

Two from this evening:

an old dam nearby:

one of the buildings at the new play area at our trailhead (about 30 minutes after sunset):

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Lloyd... this is some of the first landscape stuff I've basically ever shot... so I REALLY appreciate any feedback (positive or negative). A lot of the visual training I got in design school (back in the college days) is really helping, but I keep finding myself with the wrong lens on the camera, lol. I shoot all primes (for weddings and portraits), and I know exactly how they "see" the world at pretty close quarters... but out in the landscape world I feel like I'm starting all over, lol.

Thanks!
Shelby

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Shelby,
You have a good eye and it seems to work well in landscape as well as other genres. I love your idea of daily landscape practice. Now I just need to get my butt out of my chair and shoot something instead of playing with curves and test shots LOL.
In any case, Your composition and color sense is serving you well.
-bob

Don Libby

Shelby - I've been busy lately and haven't had a real chance to stop and visit. I've been watching your "practice shots" and wanted to give some sort of feedback. The simple version is "Great". I really like the more recent with the water flow.

Keep up the good work.

Don

Oh and if this is an example of your "practice work" I really want to see what you produce for real! :thumbs:

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby - I've been busy lately and haven't had a real chance to stop and visit. I've been watching your "practice shots" and wanted to give some sort of feedback. The simple version is "Great". I really like the more recent with the water flow.

Keep up the good work.

Don

Oh and if this is an example of your "practice work" I really want to see what you produce for real! :thumbs:
Can we all say "Don, you made my day" :D

This means a lot coming from you, Don. I love your work and follow it closely (albeit silently... sorry). I'm being truthful when I say that these last few posts are truly my first real attempts at landscape work. If you've seen my other posts, you surely know I've been shooting people almost exclusively since I've begun. But I'm an architect, and I've begun to tire of the lack of time I can direct towards composition in journalistic work. I have an eye, i guess, but now I'm trying to put the rubber to the road :D

Don't get me wrong... in my journalistic work I work hard to produce compelling compositions... but sometimes the moment trumps the deliberation.

I'm also... after a tough year running a "people" business... realizing that dealing with the high volume demands of portrait/wedding work is draining my soul a bit. I need to be out in nature as much as I need to be photographing.

This shift towards landscape work has re-invigorated me immensely. I feel like I'm finding my calling. Now... if I can just get better :D:D

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,
You have a good eye and it seems to work well in landscape as well as other genres. I love your idea of daily landscape practice. Now I just need to get my butt out of my chair and shoot something instead of playing with curves and test shots LOL.
In any case, Your composition and color sense is serving you well.
-bob
Thanks Bob... really appreciate the kind words. I sure hope I can keep the practice up. It's been liberating and humbling as well :D