The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Chrome ring FD lenses adapter fit.

Michiel Schierbeek

The former Canon FD lenses had a chrome ring lock and I have a few, but they do not fit well on the adapter made by Pixco, which arrived after 20 days from Hong Kong.
The problem is that you can't turn the ring till the click so the aperture control stops at around F 5.6 or 8, depends on how far you can turn the ring on.
The newer all black FD lenses do fit, although very tight, but do have full aperture control.
Anybody encountered this problem?

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Just got an e-mail from Roxsen, the Ebay seller where I bought the Canon FD adapter, that the adapter does'nt fit to all lenses. So I think I can conclude that these adapters only fit the newer all black FD lenses.
Is there anybody, out there in WWW space, who has an adapter which works well with the older chrome ring FD lenses? Please let me know and tell what brand adapter that is.

Michiel

Diane B

Michiel, I'm guessing that you mean the breech lock (BL) FD lenses as opposed to the bayonet FD lenses (the all black ones). Most of the adaptors do say they will fit both breech and bayonet. Mine is supposed to though I only have bayonets. Mine is a Rayqual from Cameraquest, but I understand that the RJ/jinfinance fits all also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-FD-lens-t...ItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item19b0de3935
It states down in the questions at the bottom that it fits FD FL lenses too--this one works also
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-FD-to-G1-...ItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item3a54cb3e93 and may be a closer ship to you.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Jonas

I can confirm the RJ/jinfinance works with the FD breech lock lenses. Not only works, it is very easy to mount and unmount. I haven't tried my RayQual adapter as it has been mounted to a FDn lens all the time.

regards,

/Jonas

photoSmart42

I'm using the RJ FD adapter, but I have to tell you I've had a LOT of issues making it work with the older breech lock FD lenses. I had to grind down both the face of the adapter plate to make it fit inside the breech, I've had to grind down the bottom of the adapter plate to get infinity focus, and I've had to modify the moving pin to make sure it pushes the aperture clip all the way when the aperture ring on the adapter is locked into position. I ordered two separate RJ adapters, and both had the same issues. I know the previous ones used to work fine, but I think they got cheap and changed the way they make them, because the laterst ones are, frankly, crap.

Bottom line - I'd stay away from any of the RJ-made adapters out there (a few different people sell them on eBay). Pellicle had good success with the Ciecio adapter, and there are other, more expensive options out there as well - there's a Japanese made one, and a German made one that are both around $150. I suspect those would fit perfectly, and I've spent that much on non-working RJ adapters anyway, so pick your poison.

Anyway, my $0.02 for whatever it's worth.

Jonas

I'm using the RJ FD adapter, but I have to tell you I've had a LOT of issues making it work(...)
Well, mine is an old one, from when he made them available. I wasn't aware the adapters of today were different. But.. how strange it sounds. (It doesn't cost more to make them properly, right.)

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks guys. And Diana, thank you for those links.
I am a little confused now. My adapter looks exactly the same as the one from RJ/jinfinance from the first link Diana gave, on which the breech lock lens seems to fit well.
Now photoSmart42 has the same experience as me with this type of adapter but it works fine for Jonas.:confused:
The second link looks like it is the Ciecio adapter which worked well for Pellicle as photoSmart42 stated. The inside of this adapter looks also completly different from the RJ/jinfinance one.
My best quess is to buy one of these.

I have tree lenses and a Novoflex bellows with the breech lock I would like to use and I could leave the other adapter on one of the other lenses.
I have the 35/f2-f16 lens which seems to be radioactivly coated :grin:
and bought for € 10 a Tokina AT-X Macro 90/2.5 and from e-bay a Vivitar Macro 55/2.8. The Novoflex bellows was only € 30,-
So it is worth it, I think, to trow in a second adapter :rolleyes:

Michiel

photoSmart42

Not sure I understand what you mean Pellicle. Post me on to what, where? :)
Michiel
In American English, that means he'll mail it to you to try out I'm guessing =).

But to Jonas' point, the older RJ adapters have a green alignment dot on the outer ring, whereas the new ones they're shipping out don't (even though all the photos they're using in their ads still have the green dot). In all my communication with RJ he hasn't responded to me at all regarding the difference in design or function. I even sent him detailed engineering drawings on the measurements I took of the adapters and how they were different than a regular FD mounting plate, and heard nothing back so I think it's not something he's prepared to discuss. Perhaps he outsourced the manufacturing to Vietnam since he started making these, and they're not the same somehow. It's also possible that 'RJ' is more than one entity, and the new 'RJ' has different specs, etc. Who knows! Regardless, be aware these are not the same adapters that people got originally.

Diane B

Not sure I understand what you mean Pellicle. Post me on to what, where? :)
It is right those Ceicio7 adaptors work well with the breech lock FD lenses?

Michiel
Not being a Brit or an Aussie, still I think he means to mail (post) you the adaptor--perhaps to try--if you mail (post) it back to him. Then again--maybe I should let Pellicle say for himself LOL.

Diane

Michiel Schierbeek

Aha, I suspected something like that, but I thought that would be to much.
Very friendly, of him, anyway. Thanks Diana.

Pellicle, hope you did look at the second link of Diana. Does it look like your adapter?

Michiel

pellicle

Hi

Aha, I suspected something like that, but I thought that would be to much.
Very friendly, of him, anyway. Thanks Diana.

Pellicle, hope you did look at the second link of Diana. Does it look like your adapter?

Michiel
correct ... post ... we (Australians) call it the Post Office (or more formally Australia Post) but as I'm in Finland (where its called Posti) I can send you mine cos you being in the EU it won't attract any tax (and its not going to be a gift either ;-)

yes, I did check that link ... and yes that's the one.

I've got a bit on it on my blog

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-fd-lens-adapter-for-g1.html

The adaptor required a miniscule amount of tweaking by sanding down the front (very very carefully cos it wasn't much needed) it achieves infinity focus on my 28mm lens perfectly. Of course the longer the lens (50, 100, 300) the less such imperfections matter (and I can't recall needing infinity on my lenses anyway ... as I seldom photograph the horizon)

PM me if you are keen and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

pellicle

Hi Di

Not being a Brit or an Aussie, still I think he means to mail (post) you the adaptor--perhaps to try--if you mail (post) it back to him.
yes, that was the gig ... try before you buy ... I thought my meaning was obvious, but it just goes to show the implications of the old adage about when you assume ;-)

I figga that Michiel seems an upstanding sort of bloke and wouldn't swindle me out of my adaptor ... I'm mostly using OM at the moment so the FD adaptor won't be missed but as it happens I have a spare (same maker) FD adaptor in case I change my mood ;-)

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi

correct ... post ... we (Australians) call it the Post Office (or more formally Australia Post) but as I'm in Finland (where its called Posti) I can send you mine cos you being in the EU it won't attract any tax (and its not going to be a gift either ;-)

yes, I did check that link ... and yes that's the one.

I've got a bit on it on my blog

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-fd-lens-adapter-for-g1.html

The adaptor required a miniscule amount of tweaking by sanding down the front (very very carefully cos it wasn't much needed) it achieves infinity focus on my 28mm lens perfectly. Of course the longer the lens (50, 100, 300) the less such imperfections matter (and I can't recall needing infinity on my lenses anyway ... as I seldom photograph the horizon)

PM me if you are keen and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.
Just got mixed up with posting like on a forum for example :)
Very kind offer but do not bother, although you assumed right; I wouldn't swindle you for an adapter. It would turn me into outcast on this forum.

The most important lenses are working with my adapter and I will order the other one later. It does not have the chrome top as on your blog anymore but for the rest it looks exactly the same. I am happy to know there is an alternative.

Never had much trouble with adapters but the FD lens mounts, having two types, are a little complicated, I quess. Only a Leica R adapter needed some cellotape to tighten it more.

You are a real globetrotter, I see on your blog.
Like your suggestions for a Tilt Shift adapter for the G1 on your blog.
Why is nobody making this? If I could I would do it myself but fine mechanics is not my strong point. Makes me very nervous.

Well thanks anyway,
Michiel

pellicle

Goodmorning Michiel

The most important lenses are working with my adapter and I will order the other one later. It does not have the chrome top as on your blog anymore but for the rest it looks exactly the same.
/QUOTE]

actually the "chrome" is simply where the anodising was polished off as a result of my "lapping it down" to the right size. I suspect that because they are anodised after machining this can result in an increase in the length, like 0.05mm, which is all that is needed to spoil infinity focus.

Michiel Schierbeek

Just received my ciecio7 Canon FD adapter and I can confirm that both types of Canon FD lenses work well with this one.
Thank you pellicle and Diana!
Michiel