The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

more or less saturation in these images?

W

Wim van Velzen

hi all,

In this thread Shelby commented that my images were too saturated.

As I always preferred Provia to Velvia in the film days, I was quite surprised to hear that my images were oversaturated.
I then asked for more comments, and more people found the level of saturation too high.

So I want to ask you: which of the versions do you prefer - the more saturated or the less saturated ones? Or should I even trim down further?

1)

or 2)

and 1)

or 2)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Wim,

Personal preference on my profiled monitor is for slightly less saturated colors when the overall balance is darker. So in the first it seems to detract a little from the overall feeling whereas in the beach picture the increased saturation is not as noticeable.

I do wonder if in a print one could boost the saturation a bit as it is more reflected than transmitted light.

I tend to favor slightly desaturated pictures on the whole so my preference might be a little suspect.

Both are great captures in any event.

Bob

W

Wim van Velzen

hi Bob, thanks for your input. I think that I like the less saturated better too. Should have done this test before putting the many new images on my site :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
hi Bob, thanks for your input. I think that I like the less saturated better too. Should have done this test before putting the many new images on my site :)
Wim,

Sometimes it takes a fairly good exposure to anything new before we can decide if there is something that is not quite right that may need changing.

Glad you did not do them as C prints!:thumbup:

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wim

This is an excellent post as I often wonder about the same thing. One test I have done is to view other images from high quality sources...like LENS..the NYT daily image blog. Certainly not everything posted is to "landscape standards" but you can get a feel for the brightness,contrast and color saturation.

The first issue as mentioned is overall exposure ...I am not an expert at this but the monitor needs to be set to 100-120..not full brightness. On my calibrated MacBook Pro thats about 15% down from full . This is what is required to match your screen to your prints. I am not sure if most people leave their monitors at 120 or if they just set them to 120 for printing.

Setting my monitor to 120 ..your images look too dark to start and much too saturated . I would look at your histogram and see if ...you have an S curve with a long toe and peak and if the bulk of the histogram favors the lighter rendering areas as it should for these scenes . These seem like bright images with areas of dark contrast .