The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 5D Owner - Purchase Related Questions

J

jeralia

I am looking for help and advice with a slightly confusing and discomforting situation. For many years I have used Hasselblad film equipment but finally decided that I wasn't going to continue and, having used a number of Canon cameras and having a few lenses, I decided to try to trade my MF camera and lenses for a 5D Mark II body and lenses. I went to a big NYC store and authorized canon dealer, seller, etc., and eventually "sold/traded" my Hasselblad stuff for about $7,000 (it was a lot and I had accumulated it for a long time). It was more of a sales battle than I expected.

In trade I obtained: 1. 5D Mark II; 2. 85 mm f/1.2 L; 3. 16-35 mm f/2.8 L II USM; 4. 24-70 mm f/2.8 L; 580 EX Flash; 6. BG-E6 battery grip; 7. USB Card Reader; 8.Sandisk 16 gb Extreme Compact Flash Card; 9. An extra battery (canon LP-E6); 10. 3 Tiffen UV filters; 11. A mack 3 yr extended warranty on the camera and 12. A hand strap for vertical holding. I was content but then when the sales people started to bring the actual equipment down things got dicey - the camera and all 3 lenses were called "refurbished" and were not in original boxes (this is a very large and authorized canon retailer). I was told that the stuff was all new and that warranties would be honored and that it was necessary to do it this way because otherwise the "trade" value of my equipment would be too low. Refurbished was a way - in this transaction - to work around published retail prices and was commonly offered to those involved in trades like mine I was told.

I thought the value of the canon equipment & accessories - brand new - was about $8400 (so I thought that would have been a good deal) but I really don't know if I did the right thing here when I accepted the equipment without warranty, boxes, etc.. The canon equipment is beautiful and very clean, but the camera and lenses have no warranty or registration cards. Do I need to worry? Anyone have a similar experience? Is refurbished ok? If you need warranty service, how do you get it? Sorry for such a long email but thanks so much, in advance for any help and advice.

T

tokengirl

I was content but then when the sales people started to bring the actual equipment down things got dicey - the camera and all 3 lenses were called "refurbished" and were not in original boxes (this is a very large and authorized canon retailer). I was told that the stuff was all new and that warranties would be honored and that it was necessary to do it this way because otherwise the "trade" value of my equipment would be too low. Refurbished was a way - in this transaction - to work around published retail prices and was commonly offered to those involved in trades like mine I was told.
My B.S. Meter is pegged. Either the stuff in "NEW", or it is "REFURBISHED", but it is definitely not both.

You got the Mack warranty on the camera, and that's the part most likely to fail. But you should test out all of the equipment immediately to make sure it works as intended.

kevinparis

i recently bought a 5D mkii and lenses from the same store.... it begins and ends in A if I am not mistaken.

I wasn't doing a trade... but rather buying with my head thinking in euros. My sales guy explained that the camera was refurb... which I was fine with and paid for the 3 year warranty which appears to be international. One lens was new and the other was a refurb which wasn't mentioned. He also managed to slip a couple of lens warranties onto my bill which was a bit sneaky.

As far as I understand refurb is usually demo stock that has gone back to Canon and been been retested and packed. It should be as good as new.

Enjoy the camera... i have been impressed so far...Jeaslous of your 85/1.2... i went cheapskate and bought the 1.8 version for now

cheers
K

bensonga

Might be fine, but I'm amazed that they did not tell you up front that you were going to get refurbished equipment, not "NEW' equipment, as part of this deal. The equipment you received may well be fine, but it's just not an "above board" way of doing business and had you known, you may well have negotiated a different deal.

I sure hope this was not B&H Photo......I've bought alot of gear from them over the past 20+ years and I'd hate to think they were operating in this manner now.

Gary