The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Germany trip equipment thoughts ?

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Greetings frequent flyers,

I have planned kind of last minute, one week trip to Germany and wondering what you globe trotter's opinion is on gear to take. Shooting will be mixed between city/landscape/ and misc. We'll be flying into Frankfurt for a day, then on to Nuremberg via ICE, to the Toy Fair for 2 days. Taking ICE on to Hamburg for the remainder of the week. The obvious would be the M8 and a couple/3 lenses, but am tempted to take my Alpa TC or SWA and P65. The kit is not THAT large and nice for landscape, but not sure very practical for all else. (could take a G9 to save space/wt?) I know Peter A likes using his Alpa for street shooting, and am wondering if others have any similar experience. I like to travel light, especially overseas, so perhaps the M8 IS the way to go and I've just wasted some bits and bites ! :deadhorse:

Like to hear from those of you who travel often. :salute:

Thanks,

Jim

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am sure that you would not want to do what I would, but here goes...
I would go light for a one week trip...
Unless you have more time to wander the countryside, leave the MF at home and just go with the Leica kit or perhaps a GF1 or similar. Remember the space constraints on those trains.
-bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What Bob said....

Canon G10/11 and 430EX II with off camera cord.

Lose it no big....great files without any thought or stress.

Now if you are on GET-DPI tour....Alpa TC/Phase 65+ only!!!!

Bob

Schmiddi

Well - in ICE you have more or less NO room for luggage except a small overhead area! And it's salon coach, so it's difficult to have two eyes on your items up there especially at the stops. OK, there is room for suitcases and the ends of the railway cars, but this is definitely not the room to store expensive things. It is much better in the IC-trains - they are slower, older, less comfortable, but cheaper and still have cabins with 6 seats. Much easier to have an eye on your items there! So reduce equipment to small camera bag - or go by IC or even rent a car :)

And also: flying with equipment is also a hassle - maybe it's easier for you being American. Germans are treated like gangsters when trying to fly to US...

Andreas

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Thanks guys,

You have confirmed what I already knew and Andreas filled me in on the ICE. Guess I was hoping for a good excuse to take the MF gear ! :cry: So I'll pack the small Fogg Jazz bag with Leica gear and enjoy the trip. :D

Anyone else going to the Toy Fair? I'll buy the drinks ! :thumbs:

Cheers,

Jim

T.Karma

As a visitor of the toy fair for many years here is one recommondation:

Dont use u cam inside the fair w/o permission (especiallly product shots). Some traders there can get quite uncomfortable, for understandable reason.

Nürnberg is actually a very photogenic city, especially the old center. So bring any cam you like. Leica is probably the better choice with wide angle lenses.

T.Karma

Oh, yes ... regarding the drinks. Dont promise too much, you will shocked about the prices inside the fair. But I am sure they will accept your Leica for a couple of drinks as a valid payment. :ROTFL:

Last edited: