The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New D3: Need help please.

fotografz

Okay, just picked up a new D3 locally. Have a 17-35/2.8 for it to start with, and was about to order a few Zeiss lenses.

While the batteries are charging, I begin getting familiar with the camera. I bring my eye to the viewfinder and adjust the diopter... and it can't plus adjust the -1 diopter DK-17 far enough to get a clear view. BS right off the bat. Can't find a +1 anywhere ... only a neutral (O) which may be enough, but just.

But that's not the big surprise ... the real kicker is how dim the viewfinder is. Dim and vignetted. First thought: "big mistake listening to others praise this camera and not trying before buying."

So I pull out the Canon 1DsMKIII and mount the 16-35/2.8 on it and compare. Man there is like a 2 stop difference in viewfinder brightness.

Now I got this camera to put the manual focus Zeiss glass on it ... but no f'ing way is this D3 finder going to work in low light while trying to focus manually.

I can't believe it. It's gotta be me. What am I doing wrong here?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I don't own a D3, but right off the bat, vignetting sounds very weird. This may seem dumb, but do you have the lens hood snapped into place correctly?

LJL

Marc,
I do not think it is you doing something wrong. Found the same issues when I first picked up the D3. All the hype about brighter viewfinder, etc., had me thinking, as everything else seemed so dim/confined by comparison to my 1DsMkII. Some folks have sought to change the screen, but honestly not sure that is going to help, and may screw up metering. I think it a great camera, but the viewfinder is nothing close to what I am used to working with the big Canon, regardless of what posters say.

The diopter issue is another thing. Nikon's level of adjustment seemed limited to me also. The screw-in diopters may be your only solution.

LJ

You mentioned that your batt. Were chargig, right?. D300's viewfinder is very dark w/o batteries installed. ¿maybe the same on the D3?

1st post in the forum by the way. Hi everyone.

LJL

Welcome, Quino.

That was one of the other things I was thinking about....lack of electronic connections on the lens so it may have been reading stopped down.

Other thought, and please do not shoot me for this.......could you have had the DOF preview button depressed and the lens was stopped down a bit? I would think not, but sometimes buttons are in odd places compared to other gear.

LJ

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Excellent call Quino, I just checked on my D3 and the viewfinder does indeed darken without the battery in the chamber. Mark, it'll brighten with the battery installed.

Kurt

fotografz

That's It Guys !!!!!!!!!! Installed battery and someone turned the lights on. Still a bit more dim than the Canon but not like before. Whew.

Love this forum. See, I was right ... it was me !!!!

Pulled a few shots around the house at ISO 6400 ... looks promising. They're printing on the 3800 as we speak ... one just came out ... a shot done in jpg ... unbelievable for 6400. RAW's coming out now ...

robmac

Interesting. Implies the viewfinder draws juice for some form of (I assume) side lighting.

gogopix

Subscriber
ahhh, now I understand "less is more"

D3 IS more than D300....

let's see, how many cameras.. 1,2,3,...6,7..

lenses....1,2,...10.....30...40.......:shocked:

...now, if I just say I was able to trade my old film Nikon, for a digital model, and it even has a lower number than the old one, AND the old lenses work, nobody should question. Also, I can say 'it take Zeiss lenses...' of course, not the SAME Zeiss lenses that I already have, but who will ask..:angel::angel::angel:

THen if there is even the slimest chance that I can get a 'non infinity focusing' adapter for the Leica R lens.....:lecture:

BUT WAIT!!!! There IS an adpater for hasselblad Zeiss lenses, and by golly, STeve Gandy has an adapter for my LEICA Visoflex lenses for an F mount,...:thumbs:

excuse me, how late will B&H take an order for next day delivery..???

(...sound of feverish keyboard clicking, wallet flying open, credit cxards all over the floor, Fedex alerted....:cussing::angry::scry::cussing:

I will keep u posted.

clay stewart

That's funny, I did the same thing with my D300 when I first got it. I looked through my E330 body and said @#$%, it's five times brighter than this stinkin D300 is. :)