The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you happy with your lens selections

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack and i were talking on the phone yesterday which we do almost everyday and we were discussing gear, what else. But i was saying that you know all the buying we do that i am really coming to a point of being really HAPPY with what i have in my kit and even if money was thrown at me not sure there is anything i really have a need for. I admit i have a few lenses:D but really how much do you need and use . Than what would you buy that made sense. Okay today i sit with new 12mm coming, 18 Zeiss, 21 elmairt, 28 cron, 35 cron, 50 lux, 75 lux, 90 cron and a 135mm apo. let's not forget a Olympus 24 shift lens and a complete Visoflex III macro setup with bellows and 2 Rodenstock enlarging lenses. So the only real thing I lack is a 200 mm and above which is not a big deal , rather have a Alpa with a digital back for landscapes instead. But i guess the question of the day is what are you missing in your lineup that would really put you in much better shape shooting wise. I am finally feeling really comfortable with my selections , now i have a lot but i am tasked to many different types of jobs so selection sometimes is a must. But honestly i have not even looked at e-bay in a month until yesterday. This is very rare.

So how are we feeling so far and what would make you a happy camper. let's call it the Christmas wish list

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
What I have:

35/1.2 Nokton, 28/1.9 Ultron, 15/4.5 Super Heliar, Leica TM 50/2.0 collable Summicron, Canon LTM 85/1.5, Canon 50/0.95 converted to M-mount, 75/2.5 Color Heliar, 28/3.5 Color Skopar, 12/5.6 Aspheric Ultra Wide Heliar, 50/1.5 Nokton

What I want:

Leica 24mm 2.8 ASPH
Noctilux (I have a thing about f/1.0 lenses)
35mm IV Summicron
75/1.4 'Lux
90/2.0 'Cron (E55)
135/4.0 Tele-Elmarit

stephengilbert

A suggestion: when saying "what I have," and "what I want," it would be interesting to hear whether any of the "haves" would be replaced by any of the "wants."

carstenw

Guy, it is not surprising that there aren't many lenses you would want. There aren't many you don't have. Here is a list of stuff you want: 35 Lux Asph (no focusing problems), 50 Noctilux, 75 Cron (best lens in the lineup), 90 Macro (fun; light) :D

I have: CV15/4.5, WATE, 28/2A, 35/1.4A, 50/1.4A, 75/1.4, 90/4M, and a 280/4.8V.

I find them all great, and don't miss much, but being short of money and finding myself not using the 90 Macro kit (lens, adapter, angle finder) (I have a Visoflex, so I don't really need it), I will try to trade it for a 75 Cron Asph or 90 Cron Asph (6-bit coded, new version). After that, I think I would just like a CV12/5.6 and CV21/4, so a bit of luck on the trade, and about €1000 and I am done. I should be able to handle that within a two or three months, I hope. One day I will add a Noctilux, but not now.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I'm really totally happy with what I have : CV15, ZI Biogon 21/2.6,Elmarit 28/2.8, Summicron asph 35/2.0asph, Elmar-M 50/2.8 collapsible, Summarit 1.5/50, Summilux 75, Summcron 90 AA, Tele-Elmarit 4.0/ 135, Telyt-V 200, Telyt-V 280, T-Noflexar 400. The lenses I never use are few, just the 200, and I use the 75 too seldomly. No wishes there. But what I am looking at is, after all, a DMR system for the Noflexar for convenience.

atanabe

My M lens line up

15 CV, 21 Elmarit (non Asph), 28 Cron (Asph), 35 Cron v IV, 50 Cron, 90 Elmarit

My least used lens, 90 Elmarit; my most used lens, 28 Cron.

I have added and deleted lenses along the line, 35 Cron Asph and Lux Asph are two and have settled in with this line up. I may add the 75 Summarrit jury is still out.

The good news about the M lenses is that they are light enough to bring the whole brace of lenses. The bad is that they cost a bundle! Oh well, this is my only vice, fine cigars and single malt scotch is a necessity of life.:D

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi Guy,

I currently have a WATE, 24/2.8, 35/1.4, noctilux, 75/1.4, 90 macro.

At some point, I will add a 135 and, in the more distant future, a 50/1.4.

I think I already have too many lenses, but the M8 has been on the short list of things that makes me smile, so now I am looking for the right bag to carry it all (although I have too many of those, too).

Thanks, steve

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Guy,

My modest lineup keeps me happy and is great for traveling. I have the CV12, the WATE, old Tri-elmar, Noctilux, 75 lux, and 90 f2. Would like to add a couple of wide primes, BUT, this could where the new Alpa comes in ... LOL !! :D Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Jim

woodyspedden

I just sold my WATE so my lineup is now:

R 15 Elmarit with Novoflex adapter; 21 Elmarit; 24 Elmarit; 28 Cron (My lenscap) 35 Lux; 50 Lux pre-asph, 75 Lux, 90 Cron and 135 Elmarit

I will eventually sell the 24 and either the 75 Lux (very doubtful) or the 90 Cron. I don't use the 135 Elmarit (3.4) so much but when I need it I just love the results. I also still own the CV 15 4.5 but it has pretty much been replaced by the 15 Elmarit except when a small and light travel kit is required.

Still seems like too many lenses so I will continue working on this over the coming year. Need to keep track of how often I shoot with each one so that I have a base for real decision making.

Woody Spedden

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am really happy with what I have and even have a few I'm not sure I want :)

CV12, CV15, 21 Asph, 28 Cron, 35 IV, 50 Noct, 50 Pre-Lux, 73 Hektor, 75 Lux, 90 Cron AA.

Most used are by far the 28, 21, 50 Lux. After that, I use the 12 or 90 a bit, then rarely use the 75 or Noct --- and because of such limited use, I'm tempted to convert the last two into cash...

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Current for M:

35 Cron ASPH, 50 Cron (latest), 90 Elmarit (latest)

I currently travel very light.

Subtractions or substitutions: none.

I love these three lenses. I started out with the 35 Lux ASPH, but found the cron to be more to my liking. The 50 Lux ASPH is a beautiful lens, but it is not my favorite focal length and the cron is nothing to scoff at. I also started with the 90 APO, but found the Elmarit very sharp, easy to focus, and more compact.

Additions:

WATE - Had it, gave it up, want it again (Mark....). 75 Cron -Great portrait lens, close focus, and I love the look. 24 Elmarit - crazy sharp, low distortion. Maybe 135 APO, but not sure if I'd carry it around with me. For tele work I'd just go to the R. Either 28 Cron or 28 Elmarit ASPH, but I'd rather shoot with a 35 most of the time.

That's it for M. Ideally, I like to travel light with M and that means 3 or 4 lenses in the bag. So, 35 for sure, 90 for sure, the rest is up for grabs.

David

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Jack,

I'd be willing to go as high as $3000 for the two in a quick sale.....:eek: Now THAT would be a

Happy Thanksgiving.....especially for me !! :D

Enjoy your big day.

Jim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

I'd be willing to go as high as $3000 for the two in a quick sale.....:eek: Now THAT would be a

Happy Thanksgiving.....especially for me !! :D

Enjoy your big day.

Jim
Jim, you are such a buddy!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D,

robsteve

Subscriber
I think I am all set for M lenses. I have had most of them over the years and have got to know what I like. My setup is WATE, 24mm, 35mm Summicron ASPH, 50mm Summicron, Noctilux, 90mm APO ASPH, and 135mm tele-elmar.

I just finished packing my bag for a trip and I packed the WATE, 35mm Summicron ASPH, Noctilux, and 90mm Summicron ASPH.

fotografz

Working with 2 M8s with a WATE, 24/2.8A, 28/2A, 35/1.4A, 50/1.4A, 75/1.4, 90/2.8, 90/2A, 135/3.4APO.

However, it's AFU, and I no longer trust any of my work to Leica Ms ... except my MP3 LHSA and retro 50/1.4A, Zeiss 28 and an old 90/2 Chrome.

The 50/1.4 won't focus correctly, has been back to Leica twice. Other lenses are off while some are on, so I don't know if it's the M8 rangefinders that are off, and if they are off, then what lenses are okay.

I really don't have time to sort it all out so I asked Irakly to take the whole damned mess and sort it out for me and get it all fixed. Right now it's a $30,000. pile of paper weights.

I've shot Leica M for over 30 years ... not once have I been so frustrated with them. When you get something that works like my pair of M7s did ( and currently my MP3), NEVER sell it for the latest thing (IMO).

Otherwise, Happy Thanksgiving

irakly

i dunno... i have always been apprehensive to this new aspherical gimmicks. well, i have an aspherical cv 1.5/50, but all my leica lenses are of classical design. 35mm summilux is my favorite, 50mm would have been too if it was not of a bit odd focal length for the m8. 2.8/90 tele-elmarit is a joy. 2/90 (the very first one) is not a lens of choice because it is just too huge for most purposes. what i am really missing is the 75. summarit performance proof did not look too enticing, summicron i have to give a very hard look.
i also have two zeiss lenses. 2.8/28, which is in my opinion way better than all leica 28mm elmarits. another one is 4/18, and absolutely fabulous optics.

PeterA

I like my 21mm wide in apo guise because I liek sharp wides, but I find that I too prefer the older style lenses - in particular my old 50 summilux is a favourite on the M8 for rendition -agree a 50 on the M8 is not quite right. I have no interest in longer focal lengths with M8 series cameras - i cant focus well enough to make use of them wide open.

W

workingcamera

I'm pretty well set up for M lenses and don't hanker after anymore additions. They were all bought pre M8 so for film / "full frame" use. (still haven't taken the plunge into digital with personal gear as yet)

I'm a little ambivalent about the ASPH jobs

But have 28 Cron (which is a pretty nice optic I like "snappy wides" and the Cron does the job nicely)

35 Lux (not enraptured by this one it’s a work lens) It does get the most work

But also have the eight element 35 Cron with eyes for the M3 and this is such a sweet lens.

For wider wides I went with 19 Elmarit-R and the SLR route, instead of getting a 21-M, or even an old 15 mm.

50 lux, old version and 'am with Peter A on this one, I like the look it gives. For some reason I prefer the older glass tra designs for the 50s both in R and M.

The 75 Lux I find a very useful lens and have grown quite fond of.

The 90AA Cron which I consider a treasure and also have the other end of the spectrum with a beater 90 Elmar (1957 vintage). It was thrown in free with my M3 years back and I would never give it up

Also carry a 135 Elmarit-M which I should use more often... its there in case I ever need it. I traded one I had for a LF enlarger (because I hardley used it) and felt naked without it so it got replaced.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
After a brief inventory ..you could only conclude that I have too many M lenses. WATE,21A,24A,28A,35IV,35LX,50Cron,50LuxA,50Noc,50Zm planar, 75LX,90AA. Plus to sell 21preA,28cron(have 2). Of course the 50Lx,50Noc,75Lux are in the Solms Spa but expected home for christmas. I no longer use a bag unless traveling having switched to vests(when I get free of the relatives I will post on this). My standard set up is 2 M8s ..21ASPH and 35Lux or 90AA. The 4th lens is the 50 Planar but the 50 Lux will replace it when I get it right. So its 21ASPH on one body and one of the other 3 on the 2nd M8..the other two fit in the right and left front pockets of the vest. On my wish list ..to try....18mm zeiss and the 75 Cron.

apsheng

I have been buying (but not selling enough) Leica lenses for quite a few years. So I definitely have more M and screw mount lenses than I need. My favorites are the 28 Cron and the 75 Lux. Would include my 30% off Nocti but do not use it often enough, or the 50Lux asph except for focusing problems. So I go out with the 28, the 75, and a Cron 50.

Alan