The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photos from the Dolomites

Lisa

Life has been busy lately, and I've only now gotten around to finishing my photos taken on vacation in the Dolomites of northern Italy last summer. Not many Americans seem to know much about them, but they are some of the most spectacular mountains I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot:D).

The photos are all on the "new photos" page of my web site:
http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/new_pictures.html

I put the better ones in each group towards the top, so you can stop looking early if you get bored...
(Included are a few from Verona, the nearby city that we flew into.)

My favorite shot from the trip, as an appetizer:

Enjoy!
Lisa

bensonga

Lisa....beautiful photo!

I've wanted to go to the Dolomites ever since I watched this video.

http://www.motorradkarawane.de/fpx/dolomiten.wmv

"Whoooohoooo!!"......."I'm a long way from home."

Needless to say.....I'm a motorcyclist. :D

But I'll also take a camera..... :)

Can't wait to see more of your photos of the Dolomites (Dolomiten)!! More, more, more!!!!

Ok...right, I'm headed to your photos website now. :thumbs:

Gary

Last edited:

Lisa

Gary,

I liked the video - I was in a car, but it looked like a waaaay too fun place to ride a motorcycle! I recognized a number of the places in the video. I loved all the "tornanti" (switchbacks) signs (one of which showed up in the video). They sometimes tell you how many switchbacks there will be (29, in the case of the one in the video).

Lisa

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
love the dolomites; in 2000 spent two weeks hiking from hut to hut: via ferata, old WW1 gun emplacements in mountain caves, Drei Zinnen hut (refugio Locatelli, in italiano,)was a stop as I recall. we were right along the italy austria border some wild history there

www.enrosadira.it/rifugi/locatelli.htm

nice photos Lisa

Last edited:

bensonga

Gary,

I liked the video - I was in a car, but it looked like a waaaay too fun place to ride a motorcycle! I recognized a number of the places in the video. I loved all the "tornanti" (switchbacks) signs (one of which showed up in the video). They sometimes tell you how many switchbacks there will be (29, in the case of the one in the video).

Lisa
Hi Lisa. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.....I know I was a bit overexcited in my first post. Sorry about that.....when I saw your photo my first reaction was "Wow! I know that place!!" :D

For the past 10 years I've wanted to take a motorcycle trip thru Europe someday, especially the Alps etc. Great roads, scenery, etc. Unfortunately, I've discovered over the past few years that for me personally, combining motorcycling and photography is alot harder than I expected it would be. I know there are people who can do it, but I guess my riding and photography tempos just aren't a good fit. When I'm riding, I like to ride....get in the flow and enjoy the experience of motion and the skill/concentration required to do it well (not fast mind you....but SMOOTH). When I'm out taking photos, my whole pace slows down and I like to wander, stop and relax.

I just might have to take two trips to the Dolomites someday.....one on a BMW motorcycle and one by other means of transportation (my wife wants to travel Europe on a bicycle....yikes!).

Thanks again for sharing your photos and for reminding me that there is life outside Alaska (it's easy to forget...in the dead of winter).

Gary

Last edited:
F

FStopIan

Great pics brings back some good memories of my trip. I also did the hut to hut hikes and some over night stays in the alpine. Made for some great lighting in the mountains.