The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why i shoot with C645

irakly

These new fancy Hasselblad H-something cameras are great for stopped-down photography, but for wide-open Zeiss lenses make everything else bite the dust. Well, perhaps except for Schneider...
NO photoshop in the image below.
C645, 2.4/140 Sonnar, PhaseOne P25

gogopix

Subscriber
The Kodak back even at ISO 400 isnt so bad!
This is of course, the C645
Not as smooth as the P25 but still quite usable!
At iso 100 it is just great
Victor

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
At ISO 100 what's not to like!:toocool:
[again Kodak back on C645]
Victor

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor, was this with a flash? Looking at the glare in the barrel hoops. And which lens? thanks.
No flash. There was an open door with afternoon sun
the shot was at 1/45s f3.5 full open the 35mm (I was right behind the couple, and you can tell a LOT is in focus!>)
you can see the reflection of the opened doors in the bands. and of sourse no sharp shaddows.

irakly

oh, i love kodak back! i still have two of those (well, one will not be mine soon). in many respects i like it more than phase one. mostly for its grain-like noise on iso400.
all pictures below shot with kodak dcs proback 645c

Last edited:

PeterA

Lovely shots Irakly nice skin tone and DR especially in the last one - and very funny comment on H series lenses.

irakly

Peter, I was not joking. Those lenses are optimized for studio flash photography, just like all fuji medium format optics. Wide open they perform well, but there is no beauty, if you know what I mean.

PeterA

Yes it is true they are studio optimised to get the DOF needed - sharp used like this - everything is a compromise. - most bokeh 'issues' I have found are against green background in outdoor shoot when background is too close - tell me which manufacturer 'conquers' this problem? H series are sharp lenses/ high contrast - much like Leica asphericals...Well we can always hang a V Zeiss via adaptor if needed.

irakly

it is not only bokeh. my main objections against fuji lenses is how they render colour gradations and transitions between sharp and out-of-focus areas. another thing is kind of esoteric, it is called plasticity. it is just not there.

gogopix

Subscriber
it is not only bokeh. my main objections against fuji lenses is how they render colour gradations and transitions between sharp and out-of-focus areas. another thing is kind of esoteric, it is called plasticity. it is just not there.
Interesting; I always wonder the difference in zeiss vs fuji look. The transitions and gradings also provide visual clues to the form of an object and better rendition may be why zeiss designs create a 3 dimensional perspective more easily than other lenses (and Leica do as well.)

Victor

irakly

precisely. i just uploaded a bunch of zeiss and leica pictures in the gallery. have a look. it's exactly what you are saying: 3d look.

David K

Workshop Member
Waiting with baited breath for Marc's response :)

irakly

thanks thierry. uploaded some more to the gallery. there are mostly c645 and some leica m8 photos.

gogopix

Subscriber
I think this is an interesting comparison but at the 'good?' end?

As a blatant fan of german glass (WDRT Kyocera for Contax that they found no way to mess up! :D ) is it cost? that is lower dispersion glass?

As we see Nikon going to LD glass does it gain in 3 dimensionality?

Love to see the HB Fuji examples, as my next choice will likely be the H2/H3 route OR the Hy6/Rollei (as BACKUP to my Contax 645:thumbs:

Irakly, why not pick some of your best for a thread on

"MF; It's the GLASS, stupid!"

I guess too inflamatory (I won't do it):eek:

Victor

fotografz

LOL. Irakly just left my studio and we had a good laugh about how this would stir the pot.:LOL:

Okay, I'm game ... words are one thing, pictures are another ... :bugeyes:

Look at the horrible double image Bokeh in the background of the Pepper shot ... and the wormy highlights ... or edge on the end of the tea pot spout ... :thumbdown:

Maybe a little photoshop blur WOULD help ... ;)

Too bad thay don't make an adapter to use the HC 100/2.2 on the C645 so you could get some nice tonal and edge gradations in the Bokeh ... :ROTFL:

tom in mpls

LOL. Irakly just left my studio and we had a good laugh about how this would stir the pot.:LOL:

Okay, I'm game ... words are one thing, pictures are another ... :bugeyes:

Look at the horrible double image Bokeh in the background of the Pepper shot ... and the wormy highlights ... or edge on the end of the tea pot spout ... :thumbdown:

Maybe a little photoshop blur WOULD help ... ;)

Too bad thay don't make an adapter to use the HC 100/2.2 on the C645 so you could get some nice tonal and edge gradations in the Bokeh ... :ROTFL:
Marc, I must be either too inexperienced (true enough) or slow to catch on (quite possible), but I find myself unsure of the points you are trying to make. I think there is some tongue in cheek humor in there somewhere. Would you mind making your points more clearly for my benefit? Are you saying you don't like Zeiss glass, or certain Zeiss lenses, or...?

irakly

hahaha marc, i guess you were wearing your wife's glasses and did not notice that the picture was shot through a piece of sarah wrap :ROTFL::ROTFL:

irakly

tom, he is just too envious that he sold his contax 645, but i kept mine. you know, we all sometimes make decisions that we regret later and channel our anger upon gentle and defenseless creatures like me.