The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More 3880 Questions

T

tonyroth

Just getting up and running with my 3880 (my first "real" ink jet printer, so pls forgive the elemental level of these questions...).

1. I have recently calibrated my screen using an xrite-eye one. Can't say I notice any difference, but I'm sure it must be subtle. Anyway, the xrite software would have me believe that i should purchase some more hardware and software to create a profile for my printer, the 3880. Is this really necessary?

2. I installed the software for the 3880 and it seems to print ok (have only printed a few items). I noticed that there is no device profile for this printer under the colorsync utility (using osx leopard), is this normal?

3. For some reason, when I choose certain paper sizes (eg, 4x6 off the sheet feeder), the software restricts my choose of media in choosing the paper. For example, presentation quality matte is always grayed out when i choose that paper size, but not others. Any idea why this may be?

Thanks much.... tony.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Just getting up and running with my 3880 (my first "real" ink jet printer, so pls forgive the elemental level of these questions...).

1. I have recently calibrated my screen using an xrite-eye one. Can't say I notice any difference, but I'm sure it must be subtle. Anyway, the xrite software would have me believe that i should purchase some more hardware and software to create a profile for my printer, the 3880. Is this really necessary?
Depends on what paper you are using. Most papers will have very good factory profiles for the 3880 by now. If you are using Epson papers, doubtful you can make a profile that would provide any improvements.
2. I installed the software for the 3880 and it seems to print ok (have only printed a few items). I noticed that there is no device profile for this printer under the colorsync utility (using osx leopard), is this normal?
Sounds odd. Using the colorsync utility you should be able to see the printer, select it and see all of the available profiles for it.
3. For some reason, when I choose certain paper sizes (eg, 4x6 off the sheet feeder), the software restricts my choose of media in choosing the paper. For example, presentation quality matte is always grayed out when i choose that paper size, but not others. Any idea why this may be?

Thanks much.... tony.
When choosing various media types, certain feed options may be required, so if you select a paper path not supported for that media type it not selectable. This sounds like what you might be seeing. It could be small sizes such as 4x6 also have limitations like this.