The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What about FF mirrorless cameras?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There is all that hype and discussion about mirrorless cameras with EVFs and I must admit that the current quality of my EP2 and it's EVF is stunning.

Now there is all that talk about mirrorless FT which could of course reduce manufacturing costs of these cameras but I do not see the real advantage as normal FT lenses are still big compared to what is possible with mirrorless.

Extending this towards FF one might be able to build pretty small FF lenses when adding a mirrorless FF body. Best example is the Leica M system as we all know. Now with mirrorless design and high resolution EVFs available, this might have a bright future. Just think about small zooms capable of FF and high speed. For example:

2.0/70-300 and a size comparable to a 4.5/70-300 as of today
2.8/100-500 with a size similar to 100-400 lenses offered today

etc.

This seems to be really exciting future ........

Helena

I would love an FF camera that is smaller than 5D! I adore my Canon, but sure wouldn't mind to have something smaller with the same image quality. It needs to be substantially cheaper than M9 though, and AF would be nice. :) I'd be willing to pay a price similar to what 5DII and D700 cost, but I don't know if it's realistic.

V

Vivek

I would like a FF mirrorless/liveview cam as well. For many uses no one needs AF and 15snaps/second and all that.

There is Medium format or tiny format. Nothing in between.

May be Leica's M15 will be like that (though likely Leica price tagged).

Someone has to do it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would like a FF mirrorless/liveview cam as well. For many uses no one needs AF and 15snaps/second and all that.

There is Medium format or tiny format. Nothing in between.

May be Leica's M15 will be like that (though likely Leica price tagged).

Someone has to do it.
Leica M15 is a good one :D

Fully agree!

douglasf13

The interesting thing about the new Sony mirror-less concepts at PMA is that it looks like the mount is at or near the same size as the Alpha mount, meaning FF frame cameras could be in the line's future. It has been said that Sony plans on doing a full line of EVILS of varying features and builds. Also, Sony said at PMA that Zeiss will be designing some lenses for their new mirror-less cams. Interesting indeed.

V

Vivek

Peter, I avoided M16, deliberately.:D

Douglas, If Sony really would start their mirroless cam with an APS-C sized EXMOR-R sensor, I would consider them being serious and would preorder one without even taking a look at the color or design.:)

sinwen

Vivek, Leica should be belly up by the time they could launch a M15

Let guess that a mirrorless Canon FF could be underway to replace the 5D. When Pana showed up their G1, there was an interview of a Canon rep who said in substance they were going to look at this type of camera very seriously. Now the 5D is a bit behind for video and image treatment but the sensor is still among the best (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor), a mark III is awaited.

It is defenitely the way to go.

Michel

M5-Guy

Vivek, Leica should be belly up by the time they could launch a M15 Michel
Considering it took 56 years to get to "M9" :ROTFL:
That would add another 37.3 years with whole number models to get to M15. Ummmmm 2047.....I'll be dead by then (or d**m close) :eek:

But a FF interchangeable lens camera sounds like it could be on a few road maps for 10 year projections. (just my guess). They could use any FF lens now made since the registry is deeper with a mirror. Similar to the Oly/Pany secondarily benefit of a shorter registry allowing Nikon, Leica, Canon, and a host of others.
But I do want an EVF also, like the G2 or really descent add on EVF.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I'll be astonished if Leica doesn't release a full-frame mirrorless camera -- probably manufactured by Panasonic -- with an R-compatible lens mount at Photokina later this year. They promised a "solution" for Leica R lenses, I'm betting this will be it.

T.Karma

A FF mirrorless camera has great potential. If it is designed to work like a small size digital back, one could slap that on a tech view camera with adapter.
In any case such camera should have excellent live view and tethered shooting capability.

A

aprillove20

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free.

doug

I'll be astonished if Leica doesn't release a full-frame mirrorless camera -- probably manufactured by Panasonic -- with an R-compatible lens mount at Photokina later this year. They promised a "solution" for Leica R lenses, I'm betting this will be it.
This is very close to my guess. I'm guessing that the camera won't be exclusively R. There would be a much bigger market for a mirrorless camera with a short mount register that can take adapters for all sorts of 35mm lenses. If it's a 'smart' adapter that preserves the lens' auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions, and a decent viewfinder, I'd be looking very seriously at it.

M5-Guy

Just a side note I'm observing with the advancement of m/43 and the NEX cameras.

I'll bet in 3-5 years there is a newer standard....
A camera that can take any lens from any maker...(these two mounts have that now..). But FF and more APS-c bodys are the future of mirror-less cameras. It won't discontinue the DSLR (yet)...Maybe the DSLR will only be for the "PRO Grade" offerings down the road...(5-10 years)

It could happen ;)

bensonga

Leica promised a digital "solution" for R lens owners? I didn't know that (how did I miss it?). Do you have a link to that promise/statement or whatever which I could read?

So there may be hope yet......although to be sure, I'm pretty happy using my R lenses on the G1 with the Panasonic R adapter. Even so, a FF mirrorless camera taking R lenses (maybe even sold by Leica) would definitely get my attention.

Gary

M5-Guy

Leica promised a digital "solution" for R lens owners? I didn't know that (how did I miss it?). Do you have a link to that promise/statement or whatever which I could read?

So there may be hope yet......although to be sure, I'm pretty happy using my R lenses on the G1 with the Panasonic R adapter. Even so, a FF mirrorless camera taking R lenses (maybe even sold by Leica) would definitely get my attention.

Gary
3 is a charm.....
the last two attempts for a digital back were a failure for the R8/9.... A FF DSLR R10 or a EVIL R10...... very interesting....They do have a FF sensor, so, to build a DSLR or EVIL body around the M9 sensor would have the major work already done. Well see soon enough..