The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NX10

V

Vivek

Looks like they will be initially ~550 Euros ($699) and are expected ~April.

T

tokengirl

Serious question: Why would I want one of these?

I really want to understand what might be appealing about this camera, because I just don't see it.

V

Vivek

You might want to send that to Samsung?

Just another "system" camera with slow CDAF focus (so if you are in for AF, tough luck) and liveview.

It is the liveview/EVF that appeals to me. I may get one to convert it to use my Olympus Pen F lenses.

If someone comes up with even a larger frame liveview/EVF cam, I will look into those as well.;)

T

tokengirl

So is it that you want the largest sensor possible without having the bulk of a camera with an optical viewfinder? Or is there something else special about this particular camera that I'm missing?

V

Vivek

So is it that you want the largest sensor possible without having the bulk of a camera with an optical viewfinder?
That is it.:)

If some X,Y, Z bring out a 35mm FF mirrorless cam now, I will put my money on it.

(I will even put up with video and such gizmos.)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
M9. No need to put up with any gizmos. :D
But the M9 lacks what Vivek has already stated are the most appealing features of cameras like the NX10 and G1: real live view and an EVF.

I feel pretty much the same way. I'd prefer an APS-C or larger sensor but, other than that, the G1 is very close to my ideal camera.

T

tokengirl

I was not serious when I mentioned the M9 (that's why I used the ":D"), I did not imagine for one second it would be what you wanted.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just bought my GH1, body only, for around $700. From what I can gather, the Panasonic is a superior camera in most ways, particularly if video is taken into the consideration.

bcaslis

The GH1 is better for video, but for stills I think the NX10 is better. I like it's form factor much better and the image quality seems better (still evaluating though). The NX10 with the kit zoom lens was only $699. I want the 30mm prime but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. yet.

Diane B

The GH1 is better for video, but for stills I think the NX10 is better. I like it's form factor much better and the image quality seems better (still evaluating though). The NX10 with the kit zoom lens was only $699. I want the 30mm prime but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. yet.
Do you or did you have a GH1? I'd love to see the same shots with both by someone that has both cameras, similar lens setup.

jonoslack

I really want to understand what might be appealing about this camera, because I just don't see it.
Hi There - certainly comparisons I've done recently between the APS c sensor on the X1, and the GF1 and the EP1 suggest to me that what difference there is between the sensor sizes isn't really worth the candle.

. . . . . but as Vivek says, bring on a small full frame camera with liveview and an EVF .

Incidentally - your avatar is killing me, I just can't work out what it is (aside from the tongue) please tell me!

all the best

bcaslis

Do you or did you have a GH1? I'd love to see the same shots with both by someone that has both cameras, similar lens setup.
I've had in the past a G1 and an E-P1 but not GH1. I unfortunately don't have either now so I can't do a side by side comparison. But I will say that high-ISO the NX10 looks a bit better. But more importantly is that at low ISO I could see shadow noise at low ISO on scenes with lots of dark areas on the MFT cameras I had. I don't see that on the NX10. I'm not overly found of the JPEG engine on the NX10 since it seems a bit too aggressive on NR. I've used a demo of RAW developer to look at the RAW files (I'm on a Mac and only windows software is in the box) and they look very promising. I'm hoping that Lightroom adds support before too long.

But the biggest benefit to me is the form factor. It just feels so much better to hold then the G1 or E-P1 or GF1 at least to me. And the viewfinder is not as bad as some descriptions I've seen. It might be a little smaller and slightly less pixels than the G1/GH1 viewfinder, but I find the colors and contrast levels better. The AMOLED screen on the back is to die for. Far better than any screen I've seen on a camera including my Nikon.

P

pcheywood

It's been a long, long, long time since I posted on these forums.........So, I thought I'd post a couple of my first images form my NX10 and 30mm (I have the 18-55, it came as part of a kit, but have not used it yet).

For myself, after becoming disabled and unable to carry a DSLR kit, I've been searching for a viable camera to keep in my pocket. Out of all the cams I've purchased or trialed, this one is almost perfect.

Excuse my quick processing (or rather, my lack of skills/patience).

V

Vivek

Does the camera operate and show any exposure without any lens mounted?

*The manual does not give any clear indications as far as I have parsed through it.