The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

500GB drive works in MacBook Pro 17"

bradhusick

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 500GB MacBook Pro 17", having just installed the Hitachi 500GB 2.5" drive. It's 12.5mm high (other drives are typically 9mm) but there's plenty of room in the 17" for this drive with no modifications whatsoever. It will NOT fit in any other MacBook Pro or MacBook.

I now have 466GB of formatted space to play with! Yay! I bought the drive from OWC (www.macsales.com) for $288 plus shipping. The install took less than 15 minutes and requires Philips-0 and Torx-6 screwdrivers. The drive runs cool and silent.

Soon Samsung will begin shipping their 500GB drive with 9mm height for the rest of our MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

-Brad

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow that is some serious space for a laptop. That is a lot of shooting to fill that one up. Awesome news about this

neils

Really the install was that easy? I've seen the install steps all laid out.

I have zillions of tools, I make my living with them. So I know what tools and my hands can do but...... I'm pretty much not afraid of taking anything apart but my MBP? Well I don't know. That ribbon, lifting out stuff just spooks me.

I assume your 17" MBP and my 15" MBP would be the same thing.

Neil

bradhusick

I think the 15 and 17 would be nearly identical (except the drive is too thick for the 15). It's not hard to lift the ribbons a little. You only need to disconnect the one for the keyboard.

Brad

neils

I got email from OWC today and the 500g for the 15" MBP is now out. 9.5mm as you said. Tempting.

Neil