The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New iMac is out...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
With my academic rate 2358 for a 500gig 24inch 3.02 4 gig memory. I must sell some safe queens...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be so fast to jump John... I understand very shortly there will be a 23" cinema display that has a MacBookPro docking slot built into the rear. Best part is it is a drop in and go!

johnastovall

friend of mine is considering an imac 24" for photo work-any opinion of the screen-will it calibrate?
I still keep in touch with the IT shop at the University and no problems with calibration of the 24 (1st gen Intel) on the director of graphic arts desk and I've had no problems with my older 20 inch G5.

robertwright

I still keep in touch with the IT shop at the University and no problems with calibration of the 24 (1st gen Intel) on the director of graphic arts desk and I've had no problems with my older 20 inch G5.
thanks for the response, this was with the older white imac with matt screen?

johnastovall

thanks for the response, this was with the older white imac with matt screen?
Yes, but they are now put out the glossy one and so far I've not heard of problems. Almost wish there was as now they would bring me back as a consultant.

robertwright

well the 20" glossy screen version I have read on the internets that it is a lower quality lcd and will not calibrate properly. So that one is out. But no one seems to have a definitive answer to the new glossy 24".

it comes down to the difference between tn and sips, which I don't understand, and that the cheaper ones are capable only of 6bit resolution, which through dither and interpolation they make up for what cannot be resolved. I am assuming the 23" cinema display is 8bit, and if the new 24" imac were 8 bit it would seem useful for photo work.

bottom line is that the imacs are consumer products, designed for dvd's and gaming, and not exactly at home in a graphics environment, despite what they get bought for.

Kphelan

Jack, any further word on this? Is it common knowledge and I'm the last guy to hear about it? I'd love to find out more. I think the lack of a docking solution for Apple laptops is a huge hole in their product line. I've been using Dell Latitude laptops for years - always in a dock. I have 4 docks in various places I go. My laptop to me is just a local computer that gets dropped on a dock wherever it goes. I wish Apple had a similar solution. The thought of, say, carrying a Macbook Pro back and forth to the office each day and hooking up the myriad of cables each time is pretty much a deal breaker for me. An integrated cinema display sounds like a neat idea.

---Kent

I wouldn't be so fast to jump John... I understand very shortly there will be a 23" cinema display that has a MacBookPro docking slot built into the rear. Best part is it is a drop in and go!