The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Done it ... first time in 8 years ...

Godfrey

I took on a project this past weekend: scan at least to a proof resolution my entire processed Minox subminiature negative library. I shot about 50 or so rolls of Minox 8x11 film between 1996 and 2002, it's been on my mind for a long time that I'd never really seen most of those negatives as anything other than a negative image that I look at with a high-powered loupe.

I store the negatives in classic Minox negative sleeves ... one sleeve holds a roll of film cut into strips of 10 and is about the size of a 4x6 print. They're clear with channels and frame numbering. Hmm. So I set up the scanner to use the transparency illuminator and run at 2400 ppi, set up the exposure and cropping parameters, and scanned all fifty rolls into high resolution JPEGs. They're a little cumbersome to scroll through in that form, so now I'm working my way through the set in Lightroom ... making a virtual copy cropped to each frame with individualized IPTC annotation and exposure adjustments, which I then roll out to a set of JPEG proofs. Ultimately, I'll be able to sort, grade and search through these negatives for the top notch picks that I'll re-capture with my macro setup into 6 Mpixel digital image files.

The results are proving to be terrific! I'm so jazzed by what I'm seeing that it's inspired me to pull my old favorites, a well-used now Minox EC and a pristine Minox C, out of storage, fit a battery and load them up with film. I'm down to 10 frames left with the EC now ...

I guess that means I'll have to mix developer and fixer again soon. ;-)

Godfrey

photo from the archives

Minox IIIS, film and developer unknown
8x11 mm original negative

proof quality batch scan with Epson 2450 at 2400 ppi through film holder sleeve

Godfrey

Thanks Uwe!

I experimented with this neg using camera capture rather than scanner ..

Here's a comparison between capturing Minox negative via scanner vs via camera plus macro setup.

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/098-subwayride-2up-test.jpg

You can see the scanner stepping lines at this resolution in the image on the right, and the camera+macro setup renders the details of the grain missing in the Epson scan. The scan is smoother ... A different feel to each of them. The camera+macro image is at about 1/4 pixel resolution here, where the scan has been interpolated up by about the same factor. The camera capture is a much more labor intensive approach.

trisberg

I'd say the camera one is much improved. I like to be able to see all the way down to the grain in order to capture the detail that is in the negative. Have you tried using a glass slide mount and a dedicated film scanner?

-Thomas

Godfrey

I'd say the camera one is much improved. I like to be able to see all the way down to the grain in order to capture the detail that is in the negative. Have you tried using a glass slide mount and a dedicated film scanner?
Thanks ... The camera capture is substantially higher resolution than the flatbed scanner capture, I agree.

A dedicated film scanner, even a 4000 ppi model, only nets a 2.2 Mpixel file. The camera/macro capture nets 5.5Mpixel image area after cropping to the image area and grain clumps are easily seen. The film is very flat, there's really no need for a glass mount. There's not much more data in the film (at least with ASA 100 film and standard processing). Glass mounts are a bit tricky to work with too: handling them for such tiny bits of film is challenging.

This is a rather underexposed, contrasty negative that I've used as an experimental test case. A better negative will provide a lot more data to work with.

I've been capturing Minox negs to digital since 1996 with all manner of scanner and camera setups. This is the best I've seen yet. .. ;-)

Godfrey

whew, now I've gone and done it. Finished the roll I put in the Minox EC (Agfa APX 25 rated at EI50) so I processed it. Looks beautiful ... I'll know for sure later when it's dry.

So much fun I put a second roll into the camera ... APX100 now, rated at EI200. Whoo hoo! Minox madness ... :)

More from the archive scanning project:

Aware - Detroit 2000
Minox C, APX100 - HC110

Sushi Bar - San Francisco 1999
Minox B, APX100 - HC 110
Note the frame overlap - film transported incorrectly
and created an interesting, multiple-frame overlapping montage.

I think I'm hooked again ... ];-)

Godfrey

And a high-rez capture of the "Subway Ride" photo ...

Subway Ride - San Francisco 1999
Minox IIIS, film unknown

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Those are fantastic photos. Congratulations on finishing your project.

I have a Minox EL that I carry in my purse when I want to shoot film. It isn't a minature like yours, but is small by most standards....scale focus/35mm.

Godfrey

Thank you both!

I have a Minox 35GT-E still that I bought in the 1990s. I once had the 35EL but traded it for a Rollei 35 way back in about 1983. All fun cameras, but the little 8x11s are special. :)

Godfrey

gosh, this is addictive.

I found another roll of film, probably the last roll I exposed before putting the Minox away in 2002 ... undeveloped. Just processed it.

Time in a bottle. :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
How much fun is that????:D I just love it when the film comes back from my Mamiya. I usually wait till I have several rolls before sending and by the time it comes back, I have a general idea, but forget exactly. I love the discovery part.
Film from 8 years back is a real treasure hunt. I hope you share your results.

Godfrey

How much fun is that????:D I just love it when the film comes back from my Mamiya. I usually wait till I have several rolls before sending and by the time it comes back, I have a general idea, but forget exactly. I love the discovery part.
Film from 8 years back is a real treasure hunt. I hope you share your results.
It's pretty fun. I found on this roll frames from as recent as about 2005 ... I thought I'd put that camera away in 2002ish, and some of the photos are definitely from about that time, but it looks like I didn't take the film out and shot with it very sporadically until I used up the roll in 2005.

Godfrey

Thanks All!

Great news: I submitted all three photos to the first round of this year's Minox Historical Society photo contest and "Subway Ride" took first place!

Here's the contest blog:

http://minoxhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

I'm jazzed. :)

The second round is mine to judge and so far I see some great photos submitted. Anyone else here shoot with a Minox? You should enter the contest!

T

tokengirl

Congratulations! Well deserved, that photo perfectly captures the spirit of what little spy cams are all about.

Godfrey

... thanks!

I appreciate the compliments!

Having pulled out the Minox negatives and gotten re-addicted, I've finally finished phase one of the project. All of them are now proof-quality scanned and annotated, in my Lightroom catalog, to study and find the true gems. That's 1,650 individual negatives. Whew, even just proof scanning and annotating that many film negatives takes a while!

But there are many interesting gems in there. :)