The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Up-rezzing P21+, P25+, and P30+ files

RayM

Just giving some thought to what the practical limitations are for up-rezzing these files, particularly the P21+.

I've gotten accustomed to great files coming out of my M8 with it's 10+MPs and my 1Ds2 with it's almost 17MPs, and I'm not afraid to go to 30Wx20H prints with a good file from either of them when I watch my technique sufficiently well through the entire process starting with capture. Are the files from the P21+ and its 18MP "good-to-go" to, say, 30" or even 40?" My guess is that they are, but I'd like to hear from you about your own experiences with getting great prints.

I haven't yet acquired a back for my Contax 645; I've read everything I can find about the backs out there for it, and I'm getting closer to making my choice. The P30+ sounds terrific, but I'm thinking that the P25+ and its 22MPs with bigger pixels would be just fine, even if it's more expensive than the P30+. (Is the size of the pixels what makes the P25+ more expensive than the P30+?) And, I'm guessing that maybe the difference between the P25+ and the P21+ in print aren't all that significant, too.

Any thoughts?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ray hopefully I can answer a lot of the same questions i am looking for also as i test these bad boys this week in San Juan. I am in the air between the P30 plus and P25 Plus myself . But I do hear good things on the P21 plus also like speed for one. One day I lean towards towards the P25 plus because of what you mention the 9 micron sensor than lean to the P30 plus for that extra stop of ISO. But if i can get a great ISO 400 images from the P25 Plus than that maybe the choice. But I need to test this stuff first and see how much better it is than the ZD , speed wise i know no question Phase but I want to see some real improvement in the files. I just want to be sure before dropping a load of money on something that may depreciate faster than a speeding bullet. it needs to last me and any gear in my kit is always up for a short term stay. I move gear around a lot and that needs to stop. So this needs to rock my world

PSon

All three backs are great. The file from the P21 (+) and P25 (+) come out significantly sharper compare to the P30 (+) due to the smaller pixel size and micro mirror lens integrated in the P30 (+). However, the P30 (+) can handle a lot of sharpening and produces fine details very well with high resolving power lens. In addition, the P30 (+) has higher ISO and skin tone accuracy. I own the P25 now and had the P30+ before and I do miss out on the high ISO but for sensor size the P25 is great on the RZ67 body. For complementary to the P25, the Nikon D3 is really a great option and I enjoy the fast auto focus on this camera as well for kid photographic application.

RayM

Guy, as you note, this is precisely where I'm at too. I'm going back and forth about which one would serve my needs best. After reading everything under the sun in the last few weeks, I'm beginning to understand that just like in the 35mm sensor world, there's no easy fix, everything seems to be a trade-off. Guy, when you're bonding with these backs in San Juan, and if you have time, would you please up-rezz these images to, say, 40" and then print out a portion/detail of it for yourself and render an opinion about which of the backs up-rezzes the best and whether it meets your standards? I too want to be extremely careful about this purchase. Thanks Guy.

Son, thank you. Great to hear your thoughts that files can stand a great deal of sharpening. Do each of the backs tolerate up-rezzing equally well?

From your perspective, what limitations would you put on your shooting/printing if you had the P21+? And, if you had a choice between a P25+ and the P30+ and IF they were priced the same (which I know they're not), which back would you choose? Thank you, Son.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Won't be able to print until I get home but even uprezing the Zd back can handle that size very well. There is a lot of elbow room when you hit the 22 mpx sensor size. Okay out of here and off to the airport.

RayM

Thanks Guy, I'll look forward to your posts when you get back. In the meantime, have a great trip.