The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bellows Factor Angle Finder Kit

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
While talking to one of my buddies in regard to Large format he told me about a Bellows Factor Angle Finder Kit. I was wondering if anyone here experienced working with Large Format has used one? Remembers the brand name they used? and might possibly know if they are still available?

Thanks,
Jason

epatsellis

I've had a Quick Stick for years (from visual departures) that makes it trivial to determine bellows factor to 1/3 or 1/4 stop, if I remember right. I don't have it in front of me to be sure.

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Jack, I did see that but that is not what I am referring to. What I was mentioning is what was called an E Z View Bellows factor and Angle finder kit. It consists of a ruler that works in tandem with a dial type angle finder device.

Here are the instructions for it:

"To figure bellows factor for view cameras, place the angle finder or the chip next to the product to be photographed, line up the arrow on the bellows factor scale with the image of the angle finder chip on the groundglass, and simply read the scale."

Then it refers to a Picture A.

Picture A consists of two boxes of Crayola Crayons standing on edge next to one another. The Chip or Angle finder is placed sitting flat on the box or boxes and then viewed through the ground glass where you then used the Angle Factor ruler.

"(Pic A) The bellows factor is plus 1 1/2 stops. It gives you direct readings in 1/4, 1/2, or full f/stops up to 3 1/2 stops. In the sample photograph (A) the bellows factor was 1 1/2 stops. Therefore your initial exposure was 2 seconds at f/32, the corrected exposure is to use 6 seconds. The accuracy is great, especially for photographers doing critical transparency work."

There is slightly more to the instructions but I think this gives you an idea of the tool. Apparently this tool assists the photographer in obtaining consistent accurate readings when calculating the bellows factor and angle.

I was just wondering if there were any experienced photographers that might have used this tool.

Jason

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Jack that is kind of it but its missing the angle finder. I did call them. I will keep looking and hopefully I will find it. Calumet used to carry it about 15 years ago but only have that ruler and chip now but the chip does not have an angle finder in it.

Jason

epatsellis

check out jason brunner's website, he has one you can print out that is based on the same concept, but far more cost effective.