The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good or ok deal?

francishmt

I got an offer to buy a brand new, coded 18mm super elmar for ~2200 usd. Sold by an authorized dealer coz of a special relationship.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or just a fair deal? Many thx.

francishmt

actually, I just found out that the M9 does not have a profile for the 18mm Super Elmar. That looks really really strange. Are you seeing the same in your M9?

thrice

actually, I just found out that the M9 does not have a profile for the 18mm Super Elmar. That looks really really strange. Are you seeing the same in your M9?
They were always coded, so no need for them to be manually selectable. Same goes for summarits and the 24mm super-elmar.

dannh

Yeah, thrice is right, no need for a profile since they are all coded. Of course that frustrates all of the Zeiss 18mm users who would love to use that profile, but that's how it goes.

francishmt

I did some test shots, and I found that by using "auto" lens detection, there is some severe vignet and distortion on the M9. Not sure if it is recognizing the coding... maybe when I go buy tomorrow, I will test if it is any better with the WATE @ 18mm setting.

Anyone notice the vignet and distortion with the 18 SE on M9?

thrice

Distortion is not affected by lens coding, only vignette and colour casts. The SE18 has 2% barrel deviation that comes back again, 'moustache' distortion. The Zeiss 18mm ZM has 1% of the same form of distortion.

dannh

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I see a little vignetting with my 18SE, but not a ton. Distortion is there, but it's known and expected with this lens. What you're describing doesn't sound right, maybe that's why the good deal!?

francishmt

Just to update. I got an exchange and now the new lens has minimal distortion. Apparently, the other lens has something wrong with it. I am as happy as I could be now : p

D&A

Good Luck with your Leica 18mm and glad you got it sorted out.

I do agree with Don...I've shot and tested both and the Zeiss is an incredable bargin and stellarperformer...and has lower distortion that has proved to be invalable for certain subjects.

Dave (D&A)